Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need native plantings advice for H.V.

Posted by sandra_NY z4 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 16, 04 at 15:47

I'm so glad I discovered this forum! I live in Dutchess County (Lagrangeville) in a zone 4 microclime.

I'd like to concentrate on native plants for the gardens I'm reworking. Any ideas on shrubs, plants?

I hear that Westchester Community College has a native plant garden. Has anyone visited there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need native plantings advice for H.V.

What are you conditions? Wet, dry? Shady, sunny? etc..

o

Hi Sandra,
this may be a bit of a trek from Lagrangeville,
it is for me too, but I find it worth the trip
once or twice in a season.
Friendly, unassuming place with great selections
of native plants, including water plants.
Here's the url of their web site:

http://www.catskillnativenursery.com/index.html

o

On May 1 at WCC they are having a Native Plant Sale. I have never been able to make it .

Here is a link that might be useful: WCC Native Plant Center

o

Thanks to all for the information.
Sandra

o

Firstly, what is your deer situation? Deer have eliminated a lot of our native plants and are going to destroy almost everything you plant unless you stick to a few things they hate - and that doesn't always prevent deer damage. The ecology here has changed drastically since deer have moved in and a lot of our choicest natives have been grazed out of existence. If you are not going to protect against deer, you are fighting a losing battle. I found that out the hard way when I tried to plant our native wild azalea - it never had a chance.

o

Update: thanks for nursery advice:

I attended the WCC native plant sale but most of the perennials were gone during a pre-sale.

I also went to the Catskill Native Nursery and they had a diverse selection of perennials, trees and shrubs.
I was intrigued about American wisteria (which they are getting in soon) so I have to think where it might go on my property. I have two acres and just about all conditions: shade, part sun, and all day sun. The only condition that is usually absent for long periods is wet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here