Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do deer like basil?

Posted by nygardener z6 NYC (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 05 at 0:59

I'm going to have more basil seedlings than I have room for in my fenced-in garden. There is some space for them in an open area frequented by deer, but there's no point in planting them if they'll just wind up as forage. Is basil one of those herbs that deer will stay away from?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do deer like basil?

Basil is the sort of strong smelling and tasting herb deer hate, but-- we've all seen how adaptable deer can be.

o

Yep. Every time I see a nice open place I imagine it with plants on it, gently harmonizing with the landscape.... And then, as the record screeches to a stop, I have to imagine them surrounded by a high deer fence!

o

They don't eat artemisia, yarrow, digitalis, convallaria, aconitum, astilbe, pulmonaria, ferns.... yes, there are a few things you can grow.

o

Well, you're right, oldroser, I'll have to learn more about what they'll leave alone if I'm to garden successfully here. Part of is that I enjoy growing edibles, and I don't eat those things either!

o

You need a fence if you are to be successful, NYgardener. LOL.

o

Only if they're in the mood for Italian!

Actually, they might not like it, but will have to eat half your plant before deciding this.

o

http://www.sunset.com/garden/garden-basics/deer-proof-country-garden-00400000017025/
This article has 2 of the best fences for keeping deer out of gardens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here