Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
playsinthedirt20

Happy Spring, Hudson Valley!

playsinthedirt20
16 years ago

Hi all,

I'm finally checking in for the first time this season. I'm in Rockland County and someone seems to have set off a dandelion bomb. I've never seen so many dandelions - everywhere! I've been cutting mine out one at a time with a sharp knife, because I'm stubborn about gardening as organically as possible, and leaving as little negative impact on the environment as possible. I think I may just have to live with a few of these "lovely yellow flowers" this year. (the dog likes to eat them, and they go nicely in salads)

Also noticed that the violas are plentiful and look great. I'm leaving them in the lawn and not mowing as often. I like it - it looks natural and pretty.

So, what does everyone think? Are we in another drought cycle this year? Even with all the rain we got last month, the ground is parched. I've got rain barrels around the yard, but I've had to turn the hose on a few times already.

Happy gardening this season!

Comments (4)

• jayco
    16 years ago

Yeah, we need rain! I hope it's not too hot or too dry this summer.

I'm glad you're keeping some of your dandelions and violets. Our "lawn" is really just a potpourri of different weeds. We live near a creek and I do think it's a great idea for the environment to not use chemical fertilizers or herbicides. I'm all for the organic gardening approach. Besides, I think the perfect lawn is way over-rated -- boring and ecologically unsound. I like the wildflowers and I like being able to let kids and dogs play in and eat (the dogs, that is) the grass.

We also eat those dandelion greens! They are great sauteed in a bit of oil. I can gather enough for two from our "lawn" in less than five minutes. Plus our neighbors get a laugh out of it -- "there they go, eatin the lawn again."

Happy gardening and enjoy the weekend!

• playsinthedirt20
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Jayco,

Working this weekend, so there won't be much time for the yard. It's nice to see another like-minded person out there regarding the environment. I actually have neighbors who have neon-green lawns in March - kinda scarey.

Enjoy!

• jayco
    16 years ago

Too bad you have to work!

About the neighbors, yeah, I don't get the attraction of those picture-perfect lawns with the little puffs of shrubbery at the edges. Lucky for me my area is pretty rural, so we have a lot of trees and woods, and most people can't be bothered to do much more than mow. And there's no pressure to keep up appearances -- if you want a lawn full of dandelions, no one cares.

Hope you get some time outdoors soon!

• playsinthedirt20
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jayco,

You're lucky to live in an area where the neighbors don't mind the "weeds." (or, as I perfer to call them "native wildflowers") We have great neighbors, so I can't complain, but they are kind of grass-happy. I make sure to keep the edges of the property well-weeded, so as not to spread my native gardening philosophy onto their unbelievably perfect lawns. And I make an effort to keep the front lawn kinda-sorta grassy looking. (let's not tell them about the dandelions, violas and other natives, shall we?) lol

I did get a couple of hours of work in today before the rain started to gunk up my reel mower. But we really need the rain. And it's cooler - finally!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida