Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justjoeygirl

Any White Gardens out there this year?

JustJoeyGirl
18 years ago

I was wondering how any of you are doing with your white themed gardens this season? I remember a few were just starting out. It can become quite an obsession. I thought I had all I could fit in mine and somehow I still manage to add to it.

Let us know how yours are coming along. I haven't taken any pictures this season, but when I do, I'll drop them in.

Did any of you find must have plants or combinations that you will be repeating this year? I found that edging mine with dusty miller, white geranium,white pentas, dianthus, white petunias, white verbena, white portulaca, and allysum really made a nice continuous flowering edge... I have added white impatiens in an area that is in the shade for an edging.

There are so many perennials, annuals, bulbs, shrubs, trees and vines that go nicely...the list is really long. If you have a white themed garden, let us know how you like it and what is your favorite plant in it.

Happy Gardening...JoAnn

Comments (6)

• User
    18 years ago

JoAnn, I have an area with dwarf white iris surrounded by candytuft that makes me smile everytime I see it.

• Boopadaboo
    18 years ago

You know - I don't have one but I have been trying to figure out what to plant in this one area that I want to start new beds in and I think this will do the trick! I remember seeing all the wonderful pictures last year.

Thanks for the reminder about them and the great idea!

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This is the perfect time of evening to view the white garden between 8 and 9 pm....it just glows...

• 33Cat
    18 years ago

I must confess, my white garden is looking pretty pitiful! I've been devoting more time to the beds which don't need so much work, and the white garden still only consists of a non blooming bleeding heart, lots of $1 Easter lilies that came back (thank goodness!), and a clump of lychnis. I have lots of plants that can be moved into it, and hopefully it will get some attention soon.

Keep those pics coming. It was so nice to see your garden last year!

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was wondering how yours was doing from last year. Seems most people don't understand why I do a white garden, guess I have to have them here at dusk to see. I can't wait for the foliage from the spring display to die down...right now the tree peonies, iris, jacobs ladder, salvia, roses, geraniums, allium, and lilacs as well as some annuals and late blooming bulbs are carrying it so far. The real WHITE show will get going probably June. I added Physostegia Miss Manners this year as well as some Eupitorium Chocolate, another geranium Splish Splash, an astilbe, some snow in summer, more campanula and some White Cupid's Dart. I made a few other changes to it, but for the most part there is no room for much else. I lost a bit over this winter in that garden too. The cleome really took over last year and this year there seems to be thousands of seedlings everywhere, so I am trying to at least yank out the ones that are in the front, so they don't cover and hide the lower growing perennials, shrubs and annuals. Thanks for enjoying the pictures. I can't wait to take more.....JoAnn

It is a project that has taken a few years, this year I might add a sheppards hook and add some hanging potted white flowering plants...I just don't know if I'll be able to keep up with the watering that containers require. I wish I planted it in the open, so the moon could really shine on it. I planted it under the canopy of high trees.

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No pictures this year yet...I have to get the camera out. I recall being asked what's in my white garden and I always say too much to list..so tonight I had posted on the moon garden forum some of the plants I have in my white garden....of course I forgot to list some like my Immortality Iris, my penstemon Husker's Red, and my Arctic Snow and Ice Carnival daylilies...and I didn't put any dahlia's into the garden this year. If you are curious, take a peek at the moon garden forum..I'd love to hear some suggestions...If you can't tell, I am always looking for new additions. I am also working on a butterfly garden nearby it. Love to hear what you have.....Jo Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Moon garden post

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH