Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeoliver_gw

Hudson Valley weeds

DeeOliver
19 years ago

I posted a pic to the weeds forum and didn't get an answer yet - need help identifying a weed that is taking over here.

Wonder what weeds are the bane of everyone elses gardens?

Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: Hudson Valley Weed

Comments (8)

• estevinho
    19 years ago

Garlic Mustard. Alliaria somethingorother.

• shaolin
    19 years ago

Ah yes - I've got those all over as well. At least they're extremely easy to pull up. I've also got wild mustard - the yellow kind - which is actually kind of pretty - and I'm seeing a lot of Lady's Thumb pop back up, which I pull judiciously since it actually produces very pretty little pink panicles of flowers, interesting leaves and the Japanese Beatles seem to prefer it to my roses! They were swarming a huge example of it I let grow last year which was right next to my Cardinal De Richelieu rosebush and they never seemed to touch the rose! (On a different note - Dee, do you grow Cardinal De Richelieu? Fantastic rose for me so far - small, fragrant dark purple flowers with a subtle white center - and it pulled through this last winter beautifully! I think it's going to be the first rose to bloom in my garden this year!)

• oldroser
    19 years ago

Garlic mustard a serious weed for me too - all you have to do is smell your hands after you pull it to identify what you've got. Regular yellow flowered mustard makes good cooking greens if cut before it blooms. My other even more serious weed is anthriscus sylvestris - cow parsley that looks a bit like Queen Ann's Lace when it blooms. It has a tap root and is much harder to deal with than garlic mustard.

• DeeOliver
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks. Once you identified it I looked it up - even found recipes to cook with it but I found a better use for it. Pulled up a wheelbarrow full and fed it to the goats -they loved it!

Denise

• DeeOliver
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Shaolin,

I grew Cardinal De Richelieu when I was downstate. Haven't gotten one for new house yet; glad to know it does well here. Will add to next years list unless I run into one while nursery browsing.

Dee

• User
    19 years ago

I have garlic mustard, too. A few shots of Round Up takes care of things.

The worse weed on my property is bindweed. It laughs at Round up, has roots that go to China and tries to strangle everything in my garden. It has even grown up through my asphalt driveway! It's been a 24 year long struggle but I refuse to give in.

• tomtuxman
    19 years ago

You haven't experienced a real stinker of a weed in the HV until you've tried to eradicate pokeweed. Its taproot is humongous! And if you don't get it all, it will return. Plus, as a member of the nightshade family, it also has the potential for some people (me included) to get a nasty rash.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022