Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mag_in_ny

Cicadas?

Mag_in_NY
19 years ago

Last time the seventeen year cicadas came out I was living in NYC, and I was a teenager (not always tuned into the outside world). Can anyone tell me how many we get in NY and how soon to expect them?

Comments (12)

• cccatcrazy
    19 years ago

Condensed from the May 20 issue of The Phoenicia Times:

"Billions of red-eyed Cicadas are currently taking their once-every-17-years-chance to emerge from the ground to mate. Scientists say this year's batch, known as Brood X, is the largest of the cicada groups that appear at various intervals. The first of the cicada nymphs emerged last week [in Maryland] from their holes and crawled up nearby trees to molt...shedding their hard skins and emerging with wings. Those that survive the birds, squirrels and other predators will mate, lay eggs and die over the next several weeks. Hatches are expected in the Hudson Valley within the coming weeks -- as many as 1.5 million per acre in some places.

"The thumb-sized insects are harmless, but they are large, noisy and clumsy. Already, health officials are warning those afraid of bugs, and especially children, not to panic."

1.5 million per acre??? Harmless??? The article didn't mention that they are also hungry -- so I have to presume the "harmless" refers to bodily harm, not property damage, since swarms can do serious damage to crops and gardens.

• hosta_miser
    19 years ago

I have read that the million per acre scenario will only go as far north as central NJ. Interesting these little critters, living so long under ground before emerging for one last hoorah!

Joel

• susanzone5 (NY)
    19 years ago

I also saw a map of the cicada population for this year, and New York had none. Here's hoping! The last infestation I recall was when I bought this house 8 years ago. The worst one I can remember was in 1981. The sound was deafening and they ended up around my car engine while driving.

• estevinho
    19 years ago

Yep. '96 was our year. That brood will be revisiting the Hudson Valley in 2013. Mark your calendars!

This year's brood will be visiting NYC, but I don't know how much further north. Who was here in 1987? How was the cicada population? (I was doing time down south.)

Susan, where were you in 1981?

• susanzone5 (NY)
    19 years ago

Estevinho, I had just moved up to Kerhonkson from Queens in 1981. (I don't live there anymore). I had my "dream job" of working in the garden center at Adams in Kingston for 3 months before my teaching job began.

I don't have any memory of any cicada infestation in 1987.

• 33Cat
    19 years ago

Neither do I in 1987, nor in '96. Actually, the only horrible creature infestation I remember was those darn caterpillars all over everything in the early 80's. I think if I saw millions of cicadas I'd stay in the house til they went away! LOL

• ljama98
    19 years ago

I don't remember any infestation at all and I've been in this area most of my life. (I need to get out more!) I'm praying that if this happens it's over quickly as I'm getting married in the back yard in July. Let's see, I have 2 acres...how many cicadas is that?

• trant
    19 years ago

I was here in '87 and don't remember any cicadas, and it's not exactly an easy thing to forget 1.5 million cicadas per acre!

I really wish I did get them though- would be so interesting!

• 33Cat
    19 years ago

I found a shell in a bucket that was left on my front porch. Now I am looking all over for signs!

• OUTofSPITE
    19 years ago

We are just north of the Brood X area.
    Our's is Brood II, next due in 2013.

Brood X is HUGE. That's why it's in the news so much. Brood II isn't anywhere as large. That's why 1996 isn't very memorable.

• estevinho
    19 years ago

I don't know how you can say 1996 was unmemorable. Underneath our oak trees was ankle deep in cicada shells. The sound was deafening. Brood II covers a smaller geographic area, but if you live in that geographic area, it's memorable.

• hosta_miser
    19 years ago

I was in the Princeton, NJ area on Thursday and these babies are peaking down there. What a noise!

Joel

Sponsored