Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justjoeygirl

Did anyone else notice a lower bud count this year?

JustJoeyGirl
18 years ago

I found that, for some reason, I have fewer buds on many of my perennials this season. Usually my peonies are loaded, my iris's usually have more stems, it seems many of my plants seem to be having an off season this year. I still have lots of bloom, but I do notice a big difference. I also lost more plants this year than usual. Centaurea Montana which had been here for years...as well as a beloved Lace Leaf Japanese maple...it was fine for 9 years, this year, it looks like a shaved poodle with a little tuft of leafy growth on the top only. I lost verbascum which usually do well... I was just wondering if it was just me, or is anyone else experiencing a lower bud/stem count this season, or the loss of usually hardy perennials?

Comments (3)

• linnea2
    18 years ago

JoeyGirl, my peonies and lilies are *loaded*, Yarrows, Coreopsis
    and Rudbeckia look moth-eaten, Aster Monch, 3 Persicaria (in 3 different locations)
    4 Artemisia Silver mound, one Crocosmia Lucifer and several Kniphofia
    are all like that old door nail we know about.

For many of these, it was the first winter.
    I'm coming to appreciate a few old favorites, like Flax!
    They are so beautiful! Delicate, lacy and indestructible!

I don't think it's you, it was a very cold spring with irregular rainfall.

Some manure this fall might be a good idea, I'm openly hinting at a truck load
    for my birthday.

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmmph, manure in the fall....I usually do compost in the spring....I never really feed the garden in the fall for fear of causing some growth that may get killed with the cold. I'll have to look into that...it make's sense to put it to bed with a full tummy : )

Actually my lilies look good, except the candidum...no buds on any of them this spring... : (

Maybe it was the cold spring...for the peonies for me...they are usually so reliable... I am not sure when they set buds..but this year they didn't do well for me..my neighbor has the same problem with hers too. I guess micro climates abound.. Thanks for sharing! JoAnn

I may have to change my name......I lost my two Just Joey roses this year also. Ha ha ha.....

• tomtuxman
    18 years ago

Linnea, ya gotta love someone who wants a load of manure for their birthday! "Do you want that giftwrapped?"

My budding experience this spring is everything is -- weirdly -- going gangbusters. Peonies, poppies, lilies, you name it are budding themselves into a tizzy. BUT, otoh, I lost several hollyhocks and the last remaining scabiosa to frost heaves (I think). I have several iris patches that alternate in bud production -- one year some bloom outrageously, the next year the others. Go figure.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm