Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Libraries & Gardening

Posted by kallie_grow 12540 (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 07 at 15:34

Hello to all,

I am new to this message board and wanted to reach out for some input from gardening enthusiasts in the Hudson Valley. I work for the Mid-Hudson Library System in the beautiful mid-Hudson Valley (Poughkeepsie, NY). We are an organization that supports public libraries in five counties (Dutchess, Columbia, Greene, Putnam, and Ulster). Some of our libraries are interested in doing more for the gardening community. I would love your feedback on what types of things would be of interest.

Some general thoughts I have at this point include:
-Offering some gardening courses at selected libraries
-Helping gardening clubs recruit new members via library marketing channels
-Promoting gardening books & magazines available through area libraries to gardening groups
-Offering sections in front of the library for gardeners to garden for the community to enjoy
-Creating a "Gardener's Corner" on library webpages with selected websites of interest.

I'm also interested in knowing what clubs, websites or online groups you would recommend to gather additional ideas/input.

I would love to speak with you and hear any ideas you have on how to better serve gardening enthusiasts in the Hudson Valley through area public libraries. You can reach me at 845-471-6060 ext. 49 or klw162005@yahoo.com

Thanks for your thoughts.

Kirstin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Libraries & Gardening

Hi Kirsten,

I think your idea is great! I live just south of your area, in Rockland County, but we also have a far-reaching library system. I would love to see any and all of your suggestions implemented. Maybe the place to start is local gardening clubs. I guess you'd just do a search on the computer and see what pops up for your area. Or call you local Cooperation Extension. They are always very helpful.

Good luck, and keep us informed of your progress.

o

Hi,

I'm glad that you think this is a worthwhile effort and appreciate your positive feedback. I've just taken you advice and obtained some area gardening clubs from Cornell Cooperative Extension. Thank you for the suggestion.

If anyone else out there has some ideas, don't be shy!

Kirstin

o

this is a great idea, but I don't know of any gardening clubs near me (orange county). There are a few libraries near me that I'm sure would love to participate.

o

Hi Kirstin,
Thanks for reaching out to the community. I'd like to suggest a couple of areas of interest for the "urban" gardener 1) small space gardening 2) shade gardening 3) container gardening. I'm a gardener in the City of Poughkeepsie who lives on the shady side of the street - space and sunlight are at a premium :=)

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here