Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldroser

Visit to Northern Dutchess Botanical Gardens

oldroser
19 years ago

This is a nursery east of Rhinebeck and is currently offering over 2000 different perennials as well as annuals, vegetable plants, clematis and tree peonies. He's recently expanded and is offering plants in a range of sizes. Got veronica gentianoides, petasites japonica, sweet william Newport Pink, a few other things. Noticed he has Chocolate Joe Pye Weed. Lots of interesting stuff and is putting out more all the time. He's on the salisbury Turnpike - going east from Rhinebeck on Route 308, turn right on Salisbury Turnpike and when the road forks bear left, continuing on the Salisbury Turnpike. Sign is on the left but he's so deep in the woods, you won't see anything but the driveway.

Comments (12)

• hosta_miser
    19 years ago

Sounds like it is better than the NJ Botanical Gardens, and I was impressed there. I'm going to have to make another trip :]

Joel

• DeeOliver
    19 years ago

I've been buying from them since I moved up here - it's a wonderful place to visit and browse and they have an end of the season sale where you can really get bargains. Give them a call and you can get directions - they don't have a website:

845-876-2953

• estevinho
    19 years ago

If you go, say hi to Reggie for me.

• DeeOliver
    19 years ago

I'm going tomorrow for my first visit this year. Anyone want to meet there? Name a time?

Dee

• DeeOliver
    19 years ago

I dropped by and bought a few things:

Lysimachia atropurpurea (Loosestrife)

Polemonium Bressingham Purple (Purple-leaved Jacob's Ladder) which I've never bought before - but the pictures of the flowers are lovely)
    Polemonium caeruleum Brise d'Anjou

Galium odoratum (Sweet Woodruff)

Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea' (Gold Moneywort)

and a bunch of herbs - my favorites are all the varieties of sage they have.

Has anyone planted their basil yet?

Dee

• estevinho
    19 years ago

Basil is very frost tender. We get late may frost too often to make it worth planting now.

I started three varieties this year, and they are still living happily in pots.

• JustJoeyGirl
    19 years ago

Does anyone have a rough idea about how far (time wise, average driving) Northern Dutchess Botanical Gardens is from say the Newburgh Beacon Bridge? It sounds like a very nice place to spend an afternoon.

• oldroser
    Original Author
    19 years ago

About an hour - maybe less depending on how fast you go. You could go north on route 9 to Rhinebeck and then turn right at the traffic light onto Route 308. Or you could take I-84 to the Taconic, north to Route 199 and then west on Rt 199 to Milan Hollow road. Turn left on Milan Hollow Road and then take the first right onto Salisbury Turnpike. A little round about but probably easier and faster than going through Poughkeepsie. Maybe 45 miles from the bridge?? Worth the trip.

• JustJoeyGirl
    19 years ago

Wow, thanks, I will definately take the ride. I'm always looking for new places. (who isn't, right?)

I've been to White Flower Farm and Broken Arrow Nursery in CT last weekend. I usually make at least one trip to Cropsey Farms in Rockland County. I mostly do my shopping locally though, Adam's, Devitts, Roe's Orchards, Windsor Farms, I even have stopped in at the new Lowes. I haven't gone to the Landscape Place in Newburgh, Hudson Valley in Goshen (?), the Plant Depot in Wappingers, or Laura Ann Farms in Monroe yet. I also want to go to Hodgkin (?) Farms in Walden, but haven't had a chance.

From the sounds of it, I won't have to go anywhere else after visiting NDBG. It sounds nice. Thank you.

• djthomask_freenet_de
    17 years ago

Yessss...
    everything you connect with the named very beautiful botanical garden is so different... :)!

Well... I got relatives nearby there in Red Hook... they buy their flowers there too, and the summer I was there for a visit, we went there together to look for some plants for their beautiful garden.
    And what I saw there and what I still connect to that place... you would maybe say... damn, that's men..., was a beautiful woman and I learned to know her for about 2 or 3 hours one of the next days...! Well... it was only 2 or 3 hours, but for me it was like... years, I must say! And still when I think back and read her mails now it is such a different world and I'm really looking forward to see her again...!

So, if anyone will pass there, give her a smile and say, I know this german guy and I have to send greets from him!!!!
    thnx,
    Thomas K.

• candyinpok
    17 years ago

Well, that's an interesting post, Thomas. I'll try to visit there this weekend as I need to go to Phantom to use my coupons, and now I've read the post from 2004 regarding their location and what they have and I've never been there. DH wants to go to Grandiflora, so I'll just get into all kinds of trouble. I'll start my list. And Thomas, I'll bring your post with me and see what I can do for you.

Candis

• oldroser
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Candy, Northern Dutchess is not open on a rgular basis in August. You can try paying a visit but no guarantee it will be open. Call ahead - they're in the phone book. ls

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting