Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanzone5

Are you planting tender annuals yet??

susanzone5 (NY)
18 years ago

The weather looks like it's settled, but would you take a chance yet, and plant out annuals already hardened off? Just wondering.

Comments (6)

• makalu_gw
    18 years ago

You know, I just took that exact same chance with Basil and a dye Amaranth in the ground and Stevia and my bay tree for the outside pots. I think I'm about 2 weeks early since I usually don't put out the tender plants until Memorial Day but this week just looked too good to pass up. If it gets dicey, I figure that I can always throw a layer of Reemay or a Wall-o-Water around the few really sensitive ones that I have and hope for the best.

The beans and cucumber seeds won't hit the ground until Memorial Day though.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think I'm just too anxious! The pots of pansies and stock have been out on my deck for weeks, and doing so well, I just couldn't resist the others. You have to buy early or everything is sold out for Mothers Day. They're starting to sell flowers only in single pots for $3 each now...very few 4-paks...way too early this year! Glad I have lots of indoor-started seedlings ready to go.

• JustJoeyGirl
    18 years ago

I put my a lot of my annuals in about two weeks ago...I was a bit nervous when the temps dropped into the thirties last week. They all did fine...I have two impatiens that look a bit tattered. Out of several flats, that isn't too bad. I usually hold off on the tomatoes, basil, eggplant and some of the others that really like the warm weather. I haven't put in any of hte annual vinca or Morning Glory or Moonvines yet. No annual geraniums either..they really like it hot. I know it is taking a chance, but I was impatient. I usually get started mid to the end of April.

The nurseries are really inconsistant this year..sizes, prices, things they are carrying, when they are putting them out...it seems like a strange season.

• oldroser
    18 years ago

We had a hard freeze last week and another predicted for tomorrow night. After that I may consider it.

• LAA668984
    18 years ago

I put out some lobelia and new guinea impatiens in whiskey barrels, I guess I will have to cover them up tommorow night. I couldn't resist, the weather was so warm. Plus, I am tired of hauling out all those plants and then hauling them back in every night. Most of what I planted are in large pots, and those I will take inside if I need to. I planted snapdragons last weekend, but they should be fine with a little cold weather. It's hard to hold back from planting when it's so beautiful outside.

• nygardener
    18 years ago

In Woodstock, we got a frost last night that caused some light damage  pineapple sage looks to have been killed, a tropical fruit plant lost some leaves, the tomato and marigold plants I bought two days ago (and hadn't even planted yet) keeled over, ageratum lost its upper leaves. Bay laurel, rosemary, lavender, sweet marjoram, and some other semi-tenders that can take a little frost were unharmed, as were cool-weather annual herbs like parsley, chervil, and cilantro. I guess I got complacent because of this beautiful weather! But pansies, violas, and alyssum have been in the ground for several weeks and seem to be doing fine.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths