Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robbiezone5

Favorite Nurseries?

robbiezone5
18 years ago

what are some of your favorite nurseries. i'm kind of big on ward's -- they have that catchy jingo that runs on the wkze radio station. also callander's.

are there any others out there i should check out? i live in columbia county --- claverack/hillsdale area.

Comments (29)

• oldroser
    18 years ago

Loomis Creek in Claverack ought to be first on your list. I'm further south so I go to Northern Dutchess Botanical in Rhinebeck (he has 2005 different varieties this year) or Adams in Kingston or Newburgh. But yesterday I was at Claire's in Patterson. A bit pricey but great array of plants. I got nigella Miss Jekyll, two millennium delphinium Summer Skies, four o'clocks and some verbena bonarensis. They had some stunning single red peonies in full bloom for $30. I don't know anywhere else that sells annuals in single colors so one can get snapdragons in the color of your choice and in low, medium or tall types.
    At Northern Dutchess I was delighted to find mathiola bicornis - insignificant little flower that fills the air with night fragrance. He has Stupice tomatoes for an extra early crop. Prices are good and the plants looked terrific.

• lmw845
    14 years ago

I can not wait to start shopping! I always try to visit at least a handful of new area nurseries each season, what are your faves? Mine include, but are in no way limited to:
    Lorjon, Pine Bush
    Northern Dutchess Botanical Garden, Rhinebeck
    Hodgson's Farm, Walden (former employer)
    Catskill Native Nursery, Kerhonkson

• lmw845
    14 years ago

No one else likes to plant shop? Wow, I'm so surprised. It's one of my favorite gardening activities! Victoria Gardens in Rosendale opened for the season this past weekend. My favorite thing about this nursery is what they call "trunk trees". Somehow, somewhere, Victoria manages to buy in small, container grown sizes of really cool specimen and garden trees. Last year I got a Sciadopitys verticillata (Japanese Umbrella Pine) for an unbelievable price. There was also an Aesculus pavia (Red Buckeye), that I should have bought. If I see it again this season, that baby is mine!

• auntyara
    14 years ago

We used to have a really nice one near by called Doctor Green's. I loved that place and would go there a couple times a month. Sadly they sold the place and now it's called something else, and it's no where near what it used to be. There are a few others not too far away but I just can't remember their names. LOL age thing I guess.
    I also love Adam's fair acres in Newburgh. I could live there. It's got food, water and plants. What more could you ask for? lol
    :) Laura

• magpie_grower
    14 years ago

My favorite place to buy flowers is Burd Farm on Route 209 in Kerhonkson! The prices are fantastic! My cousin drives from Pawling  the prices are that good!
    Â Victoria Gardens, Route 213 and Cottekill Rd, in Rosendale is one of my favorites too. The green house is built on a giant slab of exposed bedrock.
    Â Davenports, Route 209, in Stone Ridge has great flowers and reasonable prices.
    Â I could/do live at AdamÂs in Kingston. FYI, I bought a seedling heat mat at AdamÂs in Poughkeepsie for $29.99. The EXACT SAME heat mat in the Kingston store was $24.99! I donÂt know if everything is more expensive at the Poughkeepsie store but IÂll keep buying my gardening supplies in Kingston.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

Adams in Poughkeepsie and Old Corn crib on Salt point turnpike in Pougkeepsie.

I wish Herman's was still around, they were great too. They were on RT. 44.

• tomtuxman
    14 years ago

Adam's in Newburgh is still my fave, but Davenport in Stone Ridge is a very nice, knowledgeable place. Willow Ridge on Rte 52 in Fishkill (formerly Riggio's) usually has a nice selection, but is a small place.

• lisa2004
    14 years ago

Auntyara, I must be very near you (I'm about a half mile from where Dr. Greens used to be). If you haven't been there, there is a place called Fair Acres Farms (it has nothing to do with the one in Newburgh) on Rt 23. If you are heading out of Greenville on Mountain Rd, it's just past the turnoff to High Point. They have A LOT of stuff and a lot of hard to find items. There is a whole big section behind the barns I didn't even know about until last year. The owner can answer almost anything for you.

• lmw845
    14 years ago

This is great. I had never heard of Fair Acre Farms near Greenville (I've recruited my mother-in-law, who lives nearby, for a reconnaissance mission.) or been to Burd's. Davenports is on my list of places to check out this season, I have a friend who shops there often.

What about Claire's in Patterson?
    What about Hudson Valley Nursery in New Hampton?

Lorjon in Pine Bush opens this week. If you're a perennial hound, it's definitely worth a visit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lorjon Nursery opens this week!

• ffreidl
    14 years ago

Story's nursery in Freehold. It's a bit of a treck but they have a great selection of shrubs and trees, along with fruit (grapes, blueberries, trees), perennials/anuals at reasonable prices. No one's mentioned Phantom Gardener in Rhinebeck - they're quite expensive, too much for your everyday plants, but they do sometimes get unusual varieties. They also have organic veggie seedlings early in the season, including heirloom tomatoes.

• auntyara
    14 years ago

lisa2004,
    We ARE neighbors!! I'm just over a mile from good old Dr greens. Thanks for telling me about the nursery on rt23. I don't go out that way much and when I do, I'm in a hurry. I'll definitely check it out.
    :) Laura

• hostajenny
    13 years ago

thanks nycynthias - I'm in southern westchester - not HV either but I'm going to check those out. I've been wondering about pound ridge nursery.

• nygardener
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tip about Northern Dutchess, oldroser. I went there today and was impressed!

I second Davenport Farms in Stone Ridge, and also like Gallo's in Woodstock.

• corapegia
    13 years ago

I second Story's Nursery. Used to be the only place I could get specific colors of bedding plants instead of the "mixed"

Please read the labels at Phantom's, though. I almost bought an expensive, lovely shrub there but found on the label it was for zone 7.

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    7 years ago

Just thought I'd bump this to the top for any updated info. We are in the southern part of the Hudson Valley so I'd love some more recommendations in that area, if anyone has any! Rosedale is close to us so we're headed there on Saturday for sure.

• nyboy
    7 years ago

Rosedale is you get what you pay for. Great nursery on the high side for price.

7 years ago

We hit Rosedale last weekend and it was gorgeous but pricey. However, I thought their prices on fruit trees and berry bushes were pretty reasonable, given the maturity of the plants. Their selection of annuals was a bit disappointing but I'm sure they'll get more as the season progresses.

• heroes1967
    7 years ago

Bought a small blueberry bush at Rosedale for about $35 last weekend. It was my first visit there and was happy with it. I miss Sprainbrook -- literally, just a shell of itself since the fire.

7 years ago

Heroes, do you happen to remember what varieties they had? I just called them, actually, and the lady was too busy with customers to check. I am looking for a couple of specific early varieties. I thought I saw a price tag of $18 last weekend, which seemed reasonable, but perhaps some varieties are more costly than others.

• heroes1967
    7 years ago

I confess it was my first, Jelly Bean maybe? There were quite a few varieties with good descriptions regarding the size and taste of the fruit.

• nyboy
    7 years ago

Carlson in greenburg is great but also pricey Franks nursery chain was right next door. I miss franks good plants great prices

• susanzone5 (NY)
    6 years ago

I like Adams on 9W in Kingston. They have stores in Poughkeepsie and Newburg, too. Lots of perennials and annuals plus shrubs. Great store. Lots of varieties.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    6 years ago

I go to Adams in Poughkeepsie at least every 2-3 weeks. But they're making some lousy changes there. They SHRUNK the tropical greenhouse to make room for a bake shop, moved the gift shop into part of the garden center shrinking the garden center by about a fourth.

• nyboy
    6 years ago

I noticed each Adams have their own prices. Last year I picked up some annuals from the one on Rt 9 In wappengers for $3.35 a pot. I needed more next day went to one on Rt 55 $3.50 a pot

• susanzone5 (NY)
    6 years ago

I only shop in the Kingston Adams. They keep getting bigger every year, but the garden stuff never gets smaller. You've got to buy your plants and bulbs way before planting time, though, and keep them protected. They sell out fast.

Voles ate my delicious chocolate mint plant over winter (makes great tea) so this year I bought 6 plants for insurance (and to have enough for tea). I'll pot up some to keep indoors over winter just in case. Adams has it.

• Dylan (NY, zone 5)
    6 years ago

Not exactly the Hudson Valley but I'm in both areas a lot. Samascotts in Kinderhook is great for succulents in early spring, late spring and summer they're great for annual, perennial and garden vegetable plants. If you're willing to travel to the Albany area or nearby HIGHLY recommend Faddegons in Latham- they have everything.

• chrisbaswell
    2 years ago

For trees and shrubs, Maple Lane Nursery in Valatie. Huge range of choices.

2 years ago

We have been enjoying Hilltop Nursery lately, between Ossining and Peekskill. Nice selection of everything and good fall sales.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County