Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catnipqueen

Garden Help Needed

CatnipQueen
18 years ago

I have a small backyard I'd love to have something other than a lawn in, but I am allergic to bees so flowers are out (unless they are super tiny). I also have little time to maintain a huge garden. I love to cook so an herb garden would be nice.

The area is mostly flat with one large tree that gives no shade and a few small ones. I'm fenced in on all three sides as well. Here are some pics of my yard (see link below). Don't let the green fool you, it's mostly grass trimming covering the bare spots and trimmed down dandelions. I'd love some color as long as there aren't flowers or insect-attracting plants. I'm also a bird lover if that helps any. All ideas welcome!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:971509}}

Comments (2)

• robbiezone5
    18 years ago

hmmm... i just tried a quick search on google for any information on this. depending upon the severity of your allergy, you should probably consult with your doctor to see what you can have at hand, around the house, that can help if you are stung by a bee.

in general, i have a phobia of being stung. i don't think i have an allergy. i haven't been stung in a while. but i do have a great fear of being stung. i freak out around any biting/stinging insects. i just stay clear of them and i haven't been stung in many years (since i was a kid). when bees/wasps/hornets come around me, i try to stay calm and walk away from them.

as long as you're careful you should be ok. but i think bees are a natural part of gardening. i did find a product called "bee safe". i have no idea on how well it works. this is something you spray on yourself as a repellent to bees. maybe someone is familiar with this or a similar product? this is their web site: http://www.beesaf.com/

good luck!
    --robbie--

• oldroser
    18 years ago

There are quite a few flowers that never attract bees - zinnias, for example or marigolds. I've never seen them on lilacs or mountain laurel. Or hostas. Or....? Most double flowers don't attract bees because they don't have pollen. Bees don't visit lobelias, fuchsias, penstemon - the plants that hummingbirds love because of their tubular flowers.
    I used to be extremely allergic to bees, hornets and wasps and went through a long series of shots before becoming fairly tolerant of them. But I gardened all through that and never got stung in the flower garden - it was working in the vegetable garden with nothing flowering where I usually got zapped.
    When bees are working on flowers they are generally too busy to notice people. Each fall I go picking raspberries that are crowded with bees but they are so full of raspberry pollen, nectar and juice that they can't be bothered with people.
    And it isn't the bees that visit flowers that cause the problem - it's those damn hornets and yellow-jackets and they don't visit flowers.

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus