Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_miser

Matterhorn Visit

hosta_miser
19 years ago

Well, I visited the Matterhorn Nursery today for the first time in a few years. Well, they have an excellent selection of just about everything, everything is very healthy looking, and yes, everything is very pricey. Many items were not marked as to the price, and that irritates the heck out of me!

Does anyone know if they have a nursery sale in the fall or summer? Maybe worth going back if so. Otherwise, I'll probably not return.

Joel

Comments (11)

• LynneNY
    19 years ago

I'm pretty sure they do not ever have a sale there.
    I try to keep up on sales, and living only 10 minutes from Matterhorn I have not heard of any there.

I hope you at least had a pleasant time there wandering around?

By the way... it also bothers me very much when items are not priced in stores. And of course there is never a knowledgable employee around to ask either...

• oldroser
    19 years ago

I want to go in June to see their garden of Austin roses in bloom. Did you get a look at it and, if so, how did it survive the winter?

• hosta_miser
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I did not see a rose garden. We got there later in the day and rushed through what we did see. I know I didn't see even half of the place. We spent a lot of time at the aquatics house because my daughter liked the fish.

Joel

• jayco
    19 years ago

Hi Joel,
    I bought a few shrubs on sale from Matterhorn two falls ago. When I asked the cashier when their fall sale usually started, she replied that they "never" have sales, they only did that year because the drought had left them overstocked. My impression of Matterhorn was that it was overpriced, the service wasn't very good, and they weren't friendly. That being said, I would go there if I wanted a particular plant and didn't mind shelling out for it. However, I have twice tried to call them to ask if they had a particular plant in order not to have to drive down there if they didn't, and in neither case were they able to answer me. I got phone answers along the lines of: Yes, we have beech trees but we can't tell you if we have that cultivar, nor can we tell you what size we might have, and we don't quote prices over the phone. You'll just have to come in and see for yourself. Bear in mind that I was calling early in the season, and not at a time when you'd expect them to be really busy. Still they made little effort to give me information. As a result I have never returned, since driving for an hour each way is a big waste of time and gas unless I can be sure they have what I want!

• mcdermottmarian
    19 years ago

Matterhorn has a sale every year in the late fall/early winter. It starts after Halloween. I got quite a few things there for 50% off. As someone else points out, the prices are high and the staff is not always helpful as they seem to like dealing with landscapers more than the public. However, if there are unusual varities that you are looking for, then it is the place to go. Plus, the display gardens are very nice.

• jayco
    19 years ago

That is weird, since the cashier I spoke with two years ago clearly told me they did NOT have an annual sale. But I guess this just along with my general impression that there are many employees there who don't know much....

• giniene
    19 years ago

I was there last Saturday specifically for the aquatic plants. I just put a pond in and didn't know anywhere else to go for water lilies and fish, thinking that I could get advice there as well, since I an a newbie at this. Well, when I finally found a salesperson in the aquatic house, he was very helpful, got me fish and plants, but if my husband hadn't ambushed him the second he walked in the door, we would've been there for 2 hours just waiting for assistance. This is one particular area that you need help with since you can't package up the fish and aquatic plants yourself, but they only had one person there and about 5 other people were waiting for help while he was waiting onus. Also, I got 2 water lilies for $39.99 each, but went to Adams Fairacre Farms on Sunday and they had them for 24.99. BIG DIFFERENCE! The fish were a dollar cheaper in Adams than Matterhorn and the girl there was just as knowledgeable as they were in Matterhorn. Matterhorn is a beautiful place, it's like a day trip. I might go there in the fall to see if there is a sale or not, would rather go without my hubby anyway, he likes to rush. I'll wait till football season, then he'll never know I'm gone!

• wasupsmoke
    19 years ago

I am a proud employee of Matterhorn. I realize the prices are a little steep but that is because of the effort put into the quality of our products. As for fish, they are as priced because we make sure they are healthy and contain no diseases or parasites when sold. that is the differece in our products compared to competition. For those of you who could not find helpful employees...I can't believe that because i know myself and co-workers put forth a lot of effort to find the answers our customers are looking for.

• jayco
    19 years ago

Okay, Wasupsmoke, I am sure there are many employees like you who are great and make a big effort. The day I was there, however, only one guy was out amongst the plants answering questions, and probably he was overworked. But maybe you can answer our question: IS there a fall sale annually at Matterhorn or not??? I was told no; others have said yes. Thanks for answering.

• chloecleome
    19 years ago

THey do have a sale after the MAcy's flower show and sell the palnts they used in the show. I got some great orchids there last year but they are too expensive for my taste.
    If you are in Westchester Nabel's in White plains is having a 50% off sale on all perrenials. Even the perrenial chrysanthemums which brings then down almost to the price of the annual ones.

• oldroser
    19 years ago

When I was there in June they were having a sale on Austin roses in honor of opening the Austin garden. Even with the discount though, it was a bit pricy for me and the plants had mildew and blackspot. I can get cleaner plants at lower prices by mail or at Adams or at Story's or Phantom Gardener or........

Sponsored