Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigpaulie1972

Need some Suggestions for Monticello/Sullivan county Garden

bigpaulie1972
16 years ago

Hello. I have a rental property in the Monticello area right on the Neversink river. We have spent the last year completely renovating the inside of the house and also had to have several very old large cedars and pines removed because of the damage they were doing to the roof and siding.

Now that we have finished the insides we are turning our attention to the landscaping. Me and my wife want to plant some fruit trees and also want some low maintanence flowering shrubs for foundation plantings. The house has power lines running in the front yard about 40 ft from the front of the house along the road. We need trees that will flower and fruit but wont get so big as to hit the power lines in the front yard. We ate some plums from a farmers market last fall and they told us they were grown locally within an hour of the market. They were small and had a pointy tip, very dark purple/blue. We would love to get several of these if we could find the cultivar. They didnt know the name at the market.

Also for the foundation plantings we were hoping to get something that flowers in the spring. Do azaleas do well in the Sullivan County area and can anyone from the area tell me what the soil conditions usually run? acidic/alkaline? As far as shrubs go what are the most easy to care for since we will only be at the house for no more than 8 weeks a year in four, 2 week periods. So we are looking for things that only require some light seasonal pruning and fertilizing. Thank you in advance for all your help!

Comments (2)

Sponsored