Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692457

planting vs moon position?

User
19 years ago

I went to Hoeffner Farms on Sunday to pick up a few geraniums for my mom for Mother's Day. While I was there I grabbed some petunias and tomato plants for good measure.

The woman behind the counter said, "Now don't be in a hurry to plant these outside just yet. Wait till the moon _______ (does something--wanes, waxes, full, can't remember what she said). That'll be after the 10th of May."

I never heard of planting according to the moon's position in the sky. Have you?

Comments (2)

• sweetclg
    19 years ago

I've heard this too. Lunar Gardening, as they call it, is another one of those age-old farming practices that probably has at least something to it. I'm not an expert in this, but I understand that it is based upon the effect of the moon's gravitational pull on moisture in the soil, in the same way that it influences the tides. When the moon is full, the groundwater and moisture level of the soil is at its optimal level, and therefore this is the best time to plant. I think you'll be able to find more detailed information elsewhere on the net by searching on Lunar Gardening or Moon Gardening.

You know what they say- there's something to be said for those Old Wives! They have recently even found sound medical benefit to bloodletting.

Jessica

• warycary
    19 years ago

Hi, you guys!

My bother and his family live in Wurtsboro (west of Middletown), so I just peeked in to see what luck you all are having that my poor sister-in-law isn't.

I just ordered a calendar of lunar gardening from the website below. I haven't really had a chance to check it out yet, but my elderly neighbor always had fantastic gardens. He was a real stickler about moon phases.

You might be interested in having a look - I wonder if there is a moon cycle for squirrel control! LOL!

Nice to see this forum - hope I can pass on some advice to the SIL!

Read you later,
    Cary

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening by the Moon

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths