Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Topsoil source near Rye Brook?

Posted by robynw (My Page) on
Sun, May 15, 05 at 21:08

Hi all,

Well, after a year on the house construction forums, I'm finally in my brand new home, and eager to get my lawn and garden started. I will be needing a few truckloads of top soil as the construction and regrading of the property has left me with a barren site. Does anyone have a reputable source in the Rye Brook vicinity (could be most anywhere in Westchester or Fairfield CT) for topsoil? We're a little concerned because we've heard (sub)urban legends about soil coming from questionable or even toxic sources--- don't know if this is really cause for concern, but if anyone has any info to help, this new neighbor would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

robyn w
: )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Topsoil source near Rye Brook?

Ask your gardening neighbors. They would have local info for you. Good luck.

o

Hi robyn w:
We have been in your area for about 27 years and have "reconstructed" our 1 acre lot in Harrison to exactly where we wanted it....topsoil, mulch and a lucious landscape....all with our two hands. I'd be happy to help and save you some grief along the way.

Simon5136

o

Thanks for the offer Simon. Sorry I haven't been back here in a while-- I've been off studying the lawn forums. Now that the grass has come in (and plenty of weeds... but that's a different thread) I'm starting to research the other landscaping projects in my future: shrubs, perennials, etc... Obviously summer is not the time to plant these, but I want to start visiting some nurseries so that I can have my act together in the fall.

Do you have any local nurseries that you recommend, especially ones that have quality plants in the fall (not just overgrown dried out summer leftovers)? Do you know of any that will provide 'free' landscape design if I purchase the plants through them? I've heard that that is not an uncommon practice. Other than my new lawn and my neighbors' border plantings I have a completely blank slate and I'm a bit overwhelmed at where to begin.

I appreciate any local info you can provide as I learn my way around this part of Westchester-- including good restaurants!

Thanks!

robyn w
: )

o

Hi Robin! Although I live in Fishkill, I work in Port Chester. If you want good restaurants, try Alba's in Greenwich. If you want something less fancy, the Rye Ridge Deli is great for lunch. Good luck and welcome to the area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here