Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auntyara

The Weather has been so great BUT.....

auntyara
13 years ago

I'm still not sure I'd plant out yet. We usually get frost in late May but It's been sooo nice out. Am I just being paranoid? Who else is still leery?

:) Laura

Comments (14)

• magpie_grower
    13 years ago

I too want to plant out. I have planted perennials seedlings. But I donÂt want to loose the annuals I started from seed. So, I am going to wait two more weeks.

Lisa

• nygardener
    13 years ago

I'm waiting another week, anyway. I might start direct sowing cukes and melons.

• christine1950
    13 years ago

I'll wait another week also, looks like Monday night is dropping into the 30's :>(

• jayco
    13 years ago

I can't see it as great weather when it's 20 degrees over normal.... it makes everything feel out-of-whack to me.
    But in any case, no, don't plant tender stuff yet, it's definitely still possible to get a hard freeze.

• tomtuxman
    13 years ago

NYgardener, I am in 6b Mid-Hudson Valley and it is not advisable to direct sow cukes, melons, pumpkins or squash until last week May or first week June unless you have some protection system in place. Plus, soil is generally not warm enough.
    I can understand the frustration of us all, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I am moving 14 tomatoes, 6 hot peppers, six sweet peppers and a half dozen eggplants in and out of my home daily for hardening off purposes (and they are already hardened off IMO) and they are all in pots (what a job!) until I start planting out the toms sometime beetween 5/10 and 5/20, weather permitting. The peppers and eggplants will be planted out about a week or ten days later than the toms.
    And I will have a set of old sheets as my backup protection in case threat of a frost hits.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    13 years ago

"Last frost" in 6 is mid May. I wait until Memorial day to be safe....

• zach2024
    13 years ago

looks like sunday's low is going to be 38. I may risk it with a monday planting with some tomatoes. removed some mulch and been letting the beds warm up. a lucky warm spell and early tomatoes seem worth the risk of a few frozen starts.
    anybody experimented with adding hot compost to the soil to warm it a little quicker or am I just going to burn my plants - or not be able add enough compost to make a difference?

• magpie_grower
    13 years ago

Oh, Zach you will burn your roots! First, I think there needs to be a large enough volume of unfinished compost in order to create heat. When the compost is spread in your garden and I don't think you will get heat. Second, if you use fresh manure in your compost you will burn your roots. Visit the soil/composting forum for more reading on the subject. Come to think of it - visit the forum anyway because it is really good reading :).

As per direct sowing cukes, melons, pumpkins, or squash if you are going to put seeds in the ground in two weeks you might as well put them in now. If you put the seeds in the ground now and they will come up when the soil is right for them. If we get a hard frost throw something over them. If the die - so what you plant some more on two weeks when you were going to plant them anyway. Nothing has been lost.

Lisa

• tomtuxman
    13 years ago

Magpie, as per direct sowing, I agree with you: seed is relatively cheap (though it ain't as cheap as it used to be!) so if you lose a few, no harm, no foul.

But as far as setting out plants, which I started indoors and coddled for a couple months already, I don't want to take the risk. Some of my peppers already have teensy tiny fruits.

• zach2024
    13 years ago

ok - no hot compost for me. just a thought - pushed by the illogical and impaitent garden troll on my shoulder.

• jayco
    13 years ago

Plant peas, it will calm the troll ;)

• auntyara
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Boy am I glad I didn't plant out! This morning everything is covered with ice. We didn't just get frost, but a deep freeze. I hope it didn't burn my perennials too badly.
    How'd you guys make out?
    :)Laura

• nygardener
    13 years ago

Barely a touch of frost. I lost a few volunteer cucurbits and nasturtiums, nothing else. But I haven't yet set out anything tender.

I think we may be in the clear now. How about you?

• auntyara
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hope so. Today I seeded cukes, zucchini, soy beans. green beans, sun flowers, yellow squash and ? can't remember lol.
    They're in flats incase of frost but I really hate dragging them inside on bad nights. I know it ain't over til it's over! but I'm anxious.
    :) Laura

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio