Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2,005 varieties

Posted by oldroser z5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 05 at 22:06

is what Northern Dutchess Botanical Gardens is offering this spring. 4 paks are $1.19 - other sizes vary. He had Stupice tomato plants for sale but I'm not sure how many are left. I got four for myself. Also mathiola bicornis which I haven't seen in years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2,005 varieties

What tomato varieties have you grown that you like? (I know there's a whole tomato forum, but that's too advanced for me!) I just wanted some local advice on stuff available here. And what is Stupice, anyway?

o

Stupice (pronounced Stew-PEECH-KA) is an extra early tomato, larger than a cherry but not full size which is supposed to have big tomato flavor.
I like Supersonic and have put in 15 plants of it. And this year I've also planted Big Rainbow (orange with red streaks), Opalka (plum tomato) and a couple of cherry tomatoes. And if I see a plant of Purple Cherokee I might try that again. Supersonic is relatively late, a main crop tomato (hybrid) with big fruit and tons of flavor.
I was not impressed with Big Boy or Celebrity which I've grown in the past but Beefmaster isn't bad. And you ought to try Sungold, everybody's favorite cherry tomato. The taste is incredible.

o

My wife loves Sungold, but I can't find any nursery that carries the plants and I didn't get seeds started in time this year. Anyone know where I can get it?

Joel

o

You can get nice big sungold plants at mcenroe nursery on 22. It's between amenia and millerton; they have a lot of really nice vegetable starts for around $2.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here