Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nygardener

How is the heat affecting you?

nygardener
13 years ago

I've had to start thinking about irrigation much sooner than I expected, and am pulling the rest of my lettuce and spinach this weekend because it's all bolting or turning bitter.

How about you?

Comments (5)

• tristate
    13 years ago

I've found very dry ground to work with in general and am going to shade the lettuce (growing them on deck boxes fo reasy access) this weekend. Poor brocolli though- don't know. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to lots of tomatoes and giant sunflowers.
    On the plus side, the farmer's almanac did predict an unusually hot April-June but then unusually cool July and August. Maybe you'll get another chance to plant spinach and lettuce?

• jayco
    13 years ago

I can't stand it! Where is the nice cool spring? My lettuce and arugula is bolting, my tomato plants are sulking, my perennial flowers are all blowing through their bloom periods, and my team of gardeners (read: me) is sweaty and grumpy and demanding constant refills on the iced tea....

Tristate, I hope you're right about July & August! I love to garden but I do not love hot weather!

• tristate
    13 years ago

Here's more to celebrate (latest read of almanac)!

Summer will be cooler than normal, with slightly below normal rainfall. The hottest periods will be in early and mid-June, late July, and early to mid-August.

So maybe end June/end July is the ideal time to try lettuce again?

• auntyara
    13 years ago

I'm melting.This is just too much.105 degrees expected today. I'm watering my potted plant 2x a day. I can't keep up. lol
    :)Laura

• celeegra
    13 years ago

I was so happy to move into a garden appt this spring. But every time the heat fades enough to plant something, it comes back with a vengance & scorches everything. Silver lining = the guys that have survived so far seem to be very hearty now for the wear. 2 weeks ago, I dug a shallow trench around a lot of my younger bushes & trees, & even dahlias & put in the leftover dregs from the herbal tea that you get at the acupuncturist. Everything is blooming like crazy now. If you have an herbalist / acupuncturist near you, ask. Note: use disposable gloves when handling, since the smell will stay on your skin for a long long time if you don't.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals