Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldroser

Picked sugar snaps

oldroser
17 years ago

and how great stir-fried with garlic shoots. These were planted On March 31st but were slow coming up.

With this cool, wet weather, there should be a good crop.

Comments (6)

• candyinpok
    17 years ago

I planted sugar snaps for the first time. Really had not much idea what I was doing, but I have flowers finally! The plants really took a long time to get going and now I realize I didn't plant anywhere near enough of them. Next year I'll have a better idea of what I'm doing. Wouldn't mind a couple of peas this year though. (Guess I also forgot to mention that something ate off the top of the plants before the deer net went up.)

• makalu_gw
    17 years ago

I planted on 4/1 and I'm just now getting flowers on the Oregon Sugar Pod snow peas so I'm just a little behind you. The Carouby de Maussane are still holding off though they're close to 3 feet tall and look very healthy. Candy - I'm pretty sure you'll get a least a couple of meals worth ... once they start flowering they come pretty fast and furious as long as you keep them picked.

I'll take a little dry weather though - the garlic scapes are coming on schedule and are darn tasty even raw but it'd be nice to dry out before the heads are harvested

• candyinpok
    17 years ago

I was wrong. The sun came out and I discovered I actually have peas! I even ate two off the vine.

Oldroser, since you're also in HV I thought I'd ask, Are you having deer browsing in your gardens? We've only ever had winter problems, but all of a sudden they are visiting me regularly. They've deflowered my petunias, topped off my Ivory Halo dogwood, topped the phlox and even the echinacea. They even ate off the tops of DH's blackberry bushes. I don't know what we should do at this point as this is very unusual.

• oldroser
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Deer - they got into my garden last Wednesday and browsed the buds off my roses. I was furious since I have a deer fence and had been calling the installers asking for repairs. They showed up on Friday and took a half hour to chop down a tree which had fallen across it and restore that section. Why couldn't they have done it on Tuesday? I was glad to see them, even if they were tardy.
    Before I had the fence up, deer ate just about everything. Tomatoes and pepper plants were eaten down to the ground, iris, phlox, hosta, whatever. They even ate stuff which is supposed to be deer resistant: hellebores, monkshood, alliums....
    I did try sprays, dried blood, soap, large dog - the only thing that does it is a 7' fence. And I finally decided my sanity was worth the price of installation.

• candyinpok
    17 years ago

I can't picture a fence in the front of my house. That means I can only have pretty flowers in the back yard with a 7 ft. fence. Yuck. That could take all the fun out of this new hobby of mine. (The veges and now the blackberries are all fenced every year in their own special places.)

• oldroser
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Deer fencing is just about invisible (black netting). The post do show up but I've seen them painted black and provided with black finials and they looked just great. Or you can fence the back and put deerproof stuff in front.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?