Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hedwarr

Sullivan county tomatoes

hedwarr
17 years ago

Just wondering if anyone here grows tomatoes? I live in wurtsboro and thought it would be interesting to see how many other tomatomaniacs are in my area! ed

Comments (5)

• 33Cat
    17 years ago

I start some every year, but as of yet I haven't gone crazy with them. That could very well change in the future as I get more land cleared. So far I've been starting the seeds very early via the winter sowing method, and the plants are quite hardly. I just don't have the patience or the room to have a setup indoors, and I prefer to start from seed rather than buy the plants. So far it's worked well, so I guess I won't fix what's not broken! LOL

I'm near Middletown, so not Sullivan County but close enough!

• oldroser
    17 years ago

I'm in Dutchess and a dedicated tomato grower. Have 25 of them planted this year - mostly Supersonic but some Big Rainbow, Stupice, Kellogg's Breakfast, Opalka and Sungold. Was just out mulching this morning. They are in bloom and need tying to their stakes. Have a few tiny tomatoes on Stupice which is an extra early kind.

• hedwarr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My toms are doing great despite all the rain here. My supersweets are ten feet tall and producing heavily. Golf ball sized tomatoes on all other varieties: Kelloggs breakfast, Mortgage lifter, Bloody butcher, Carbon, Aunt Gertie's gold, Brandywine, Manitoba, Jagodka, Grushovka, Ghost cherry and 10 Patio's. How are you guys doing? ED

• makalu_gw
    17 years ago

So far, lots of greenies but nothing ripe though this year I'm growing primarily paste tomatoes and they're getting more shade than last year. Even with the rain, the size isn't suffering ... as of yesterday, most vines are 7 or so feet and the toms are getting to at least golfball or a little bigger. I'm growing Opalka, Amish Paste, Long Tom, Polish Linguisa, Viva Italia and some misc. patio tomato just for some fresh eating. I'm down in Ulster and I've got to get out and check this morning - we got enough rain that I'll have to rebuild the end of the driveway again so I hope that the tomatoes came through ok.

• nygardener
    17 years ago

A few golf ball to tennis ball size fruits on my two plants (Red Brandywine and Green Zebra), but none yet ripe. Plenty of flowers: I hope they set more fruit soon!

I'm jealous of those of you with dozens of tomato plants. That's a lot of sauce!

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner