Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackcat333

Does anyone belong to a garden club?

33Cat
19 years ago

I know there are some in the area. Is anyone a member? What do they do?

Comments (9)

• ljama98
    19 years ago

Over the summer you will see signs for the "Hidden Garden Tours" in our area. When you go to buy ticket for this they will usually have info about local garden clubs. I didn't actually go to the one here in the Greenville/Slate Hill area, but I went, a few years ago, to the one in Milford. It was great and they had all the info about garden clubs. If I see the signs for it I'll let you know.

• hosta_miser
    19 years ago

The Times-Herald-Record has a section in the paper about "ongoing happenings" or something like that. It includes info for area clubs (well, ones that have submitted info anyway). I noticed the Monroe Harriman Garden club in the last issue.

I personally don't belong to any local clubs, just some of the national clubs (AIS, AHS, etc.)

Joel

• JustJoeyGirl
    19 years ago

Funny you should ask, I've been considering joining one, but they don't seem to offer much. What do you think a garden club shoud do or offer? I'm curious too. I think I expect more than the one I am considering offers.

• User
    19 years ago

The Goshen Garden Club used to come to our nursing facility and do a project with the residents once a month. I believe they also do the planting around some of the statues and monuments in town.

Many years ago I tried to organize a club in Maybrook. Didn't get a single response.

• kareen
    19 years ago

In the Garden Web Directory there is a list of garden clubs.Is there something specific you are looking for a club to offer? I am a garden club member and highly recommend it. Our club also does a gardening program in a nursing home, awards a scholarship to a senior going into horticulture or related field, exchange plants with each other, holds an annual plant sale and provides arrangements for holidays and civic events. We have monthly speakers to increase our knowledge about gardening and flower arranging and best of all we are connected to other gardeners.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

• 33Cat
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I was browsing through that GW area yesterday.

Thanks for the info on the activities of a garden club. It's just what I wanted to know. I often see the notices about them in the paper and was curious as to their activities.

• oldroser
    19 years ago

Garden clubs seem to vary. Some are social groups, some support community activities, some are hands on gardeners, some are interested mostly in arranging. I suspect that whatever your interests, you can find a garden club to suit.

• klavier
    19 years ago

Hudson Valley Iris and Daylily society, meets at the poughkeepsie galleria www.hvids.org

• mcdermottmarian
    19 years ago

I belong to the Middletown Garden Lovers club. That is the group sponsoring the garden tour on June 26th...in fact my garden is in the tour. There is contact info in the TH Record if you are interested in finding out more.

As a mom with two small kids who works, I find it difficult to participate much, but there are many activities.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County