Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunflower profilactics

Posted by tristate (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 4, 10 at 10:14

1st crop of sunflowers are coming up beautifully-8 inches tall. Already know about birds and heard wrapping cheesecloth aroudn the drying heads works to protect birds from pilfering. Anyone use anything else? I'd hate mold to grow if it rains and the cheescloth holds moisture.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunflower profilactics

I think tulle would be a better choice. It's very cheap too.
I just let the birds have them myself. I think it's fun to watch them eat them. I'm growing sunburst for the first time this year. They look so pretty on the seed packet.
:) Laura

o

Hello LAURA! (I noticed you rsvp'd to my posting before!)
I'm not going to be so generous w/the sunflowers. I'm going to keep all 12 for myself:). And I'm actually worried about the birds finding them b/c the one and only time we had a bird feeder, the blue jays came and attacked every other bird and then tried to get my DH. THAT put an end to the bird feeder.
I don't recall the name of mine but I picked them for their height- 16 feet. It'll be perfect to pick from the 2nd floor of the veranda.

o

Hi back at ya!,
I was having a total "Duh" moment. I'm growing solar eclipse, not sun burst. lol. Also growing the really tall kind and a dwarf red. I love sunflowers. I'm trying a lot of different plants this year for ha ha's.
most of my seedlings are 4 to 10'' tall right now but I know they grow really fast. It's going to be a good growing year. I hope.
:)Laura

o

Use nylon pantyhose. They don't absorb water. But the fun with sunflowers is watching the goldfinches hang upside down, plucking the petals off to hasten seed maturity! Then, put on the pantyhose, but leave some for the birds, too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here