Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harry Lauder Walking Stick problem

Posted by erlichada z6 NY (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 19, 07 at 16:55

I have a 20 year old Contorta (Harry Lauder Walking Stick) Shrub that appears to be dying very slowly. Many of the branches are drying up and breaking off; leaves are not coming out as full as it used to, there might be a slight yellow powdery substance on the underside of the leaves and the main trunk seems to have rot at the top of the trunk where it branches out.
I just gave it a thorough pruning but any additional advice would be most appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harry Lauder Walking Stick problem

I've found two cases of "Eastern filbert blight," one in Woodstock and the other south of High Falls. The initial
symptoms sound similar to yours. Look for black scaly spots along the trunk. If your plant has the blight, it's probably best to remove and send to the dump. The cures offered seem to be most useful to filbert orchardists. More info available, just search for eastern filbert (or hazelnut) blight. Sorry.

Here is a link that might be useful: image of filbert blight

o
RE: Harry Lauder Walking Stick problem

Both of my Harry Lauder's walking stick shrubs died from Eastern Filbert Blight. I would love to try again but don't know if there is any preventing this disease?

Now everytime I see one of these contorted filberts, I look for the stomata and invariably, I see it.

Anyone else in Connecticut or New York who have been successful in spraying to protect their plants, would you reply with what fungicide you used that has worked? Also, how often have you sprayed and what season have you sprayed.

I would also like to hear from others who have tried to spray and failed so I can determine if I would just be wasting my time trying to prevent this disease.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here