Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild strawberry: friend or foe?

Posted by nygardener z6 New York (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 17, 06 at 16:56

Lots of what look like wild strawberry plants -- three leaves, spread by runners -- have taken over a corner of my garden. Our landlady reminisces about the small but exquisitely sweet fruit these plants bore in her youth, but so far I've seen neither flower nor fruit. Do they establish themselves in the first year and flower in the next? Or are these a barren weed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild strawberry: friend or foe?

They have great fruits, but there is one type that just spreads like wildfire and produces nothing in my garden. The fruiting one is a small, single plant without runners, or at least it doesn't look like it has...it grows on a weedy, sunny hillside here. I try to get the fruit before the local rodents do.

You can grow a wild strawberry without runners in your garden. I got the original plant from Bluestone over 18 years ago, and have divided it every year since, to make many. They give more fruit when divided into single plants yearly. What a taste!

o

Fruiting native wild strawberry does have runners. And whether it is a friend or foe depends on your point of view. The berries are tiny but delicious. The 'wild' strawberry without runners is a European import, not native.
There is a strawberry like plant with yellow flowers which is called the 'barren strawberry.' It doesn't fruit and is not a true strawberry.
The native wild strawberry can be considered a weed but it isn't hard to pull out. Left to its own devices, it does spread.

o

Hmm. I think I'll thin these (they've formed a dense mat), see if they fruit next year, and if not ... out they go. I'm a pushover for these natives!

o

I guess the weed I hate is the barren strawberry. It's one of those plants that I just have to pull out because it drives me crazy for some reason. It runs all over everything.

o

It's been recommended as a ground cover though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here