Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
giniene_gw

Clematis problems

giniene
18 years ago

This is my third year with my clematis growing up my lightpost. I don't know what type it is, unfortunately. She was growing beautifully, had gotten to about 5 feet tall and then all of a sudden started wilting badly, even though the leaves are still green. It was getting ready to bud, then the wilting started from the top and is quickly spreading downward. It gets sun for at least half of the day and I have never had any problems before. Is there anything I can do before it dies on me? Any clues as to what is wrong?

Comments (10)

• oldroser
    18 years ago

Cut back below the wilted area (and dispose of cuttings in garbage or burn) and spray with fungicide such as daconil or mancozeb. I'd post the question on the vine forum and I'm sure they know more than I do about clematis wilt.
    It's a good idea when planting clematis to plant deep or mulch heavily to protect this wilt from traveling down to the roots.
    Suspect prompt action is necessary to save your plant.

• giniene
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Unfortunately I found out what is wrong and there is nothing I can do. I was just outside looking at my plant trying to figure out what the problem is and I noticed all the way down the bottom on the ground the vine is cut. I figure that my lawn guy screwed up and hit the vine while mowing. Tomorrow I will replace it, there is nothing I can do to save it.

• linnea2
    18 years ago

Giniene, plant your replacement close to the old root and leave that in,
    chances are pretty good it will send up new shoots, either this year
    or next. The root is healthy, these plants, though capricious
    and into drama are amazingly tough. I've seen come-backs after several years!
    You could even do a different shade and let them mingle.

• JustJoeyGirl
    18 years ago

Giniene, don't be too hasty about replacing it. I have a clematis that I accidentily cut the stem close to the ground on, and it sent up new shoots. Believe me, I was beside my self. I had a gorgeous clematis growing up a stump (7 ' high). There was a wild virgina creeper that snuck onto the same stump and I wanted to get rid of it...I was really being so careful to get the right stem..when all of a sudden I realized I cut the wrong one( there were several of each there)....I was sick..I did it myself! My hubby was so glad it wasn't him, me too, I'd probably be upset with him.. Anyway, it grew several new shoots from the ground and it is even more beautiful that ever. Good Luck, I bet it will be back..

• giniene
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for the advice. I went out this morning and bought a replacement, although it is only about 6 inches high, mine was little more that 5 feet tall already. After reading your posts, I decided to be careful where I planted the new one and sat down to dig. Unbelievable, there are 2 shoots coming up already! I guess the rain last night and all of the sunshine today helped.

• JustJoeyGirl
    18 years ago

That's great news..it must have been happy there, it sounds like it was healthy before the accident...chances are it will regrow quickly...So what did you buy as a replacement?

• linnea2
    18 years ago

Congratulations on the resurrection Giniene!

As far as I'm concerned, you can't have too many Clematis.
    I just found one blooming up an apple tree by a new pond we're bulding.
    It's an incredible almost blue dark purple, Forgot all about it!
    I think it's one of the Jackmannii, what a lovely surprise!

• giniene
    Original Author
    18 years ago

She was really healthy, had beautiful deep purple flowers, they looked like velvet last year. I ended up getting a red asao, really wanted to get a white one, I figured it would look nice with the purple if it came back, but red was all I could find. That's ok, I'm just hoping she continues to grow as she was before, she'll be 5 feet tall again in a few weeks.

• maggieschai
    18 years ago

HI, I'm new. I'm also new at planting. Just 3 years ago my husband and I moved, and I have my first garden. I want to tell you that this site saved my clematis. If it was not for research, I would have just pulled it out. One day soon I'll upload an image of my gorgeous Armandi. Anyway, I planted it in September of 2003. It bloomed a little in May 2004 and then this year. The blooms were all over my fence. Absolutely gorgeous! Then in June the leaves started to turn yellow at the tips. Then brown. Then the whole plant started dying. I was frantic. The woman at the nursery was no help. So I followed the instructions to cut it back. MY CLEMATIS IS REVIVED!! I cut it back up to 1 foot from the ground. Around July 1st I saw the little sprout, and now it 5 feet high! I'm so excited. I hope you can save yours to.

• giniene
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Great story, Maggie, I'm glad it worked out for you. My clematis' are BOTH doing great right now. I'm glad I followed the advice and was careful where I planted the new one.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!