Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanzone5

June blooming perennials. What are they?

susanzone5 (NY)
19 years ago

My garden lacks flowers in the middle of June, after the spring flush. What is blooming now in your gardens?

Comments (13)

• LynneNY
    19 years ago

Hi Susan ~

I have many plants that are now just coming into bloom.
    These are the ones that are blooming now:

coreopsis - many different kinds and colors
    centaurea montana is still going
    stella d'oro lilies
    oriental lilies
    sedum
    echinacea is about to open any day
    Hagely Hybrid clematis is still in bloom
    cheddar pink dianthus
    sweet william

• Tanya12
    19 years ago

I've actually driven around the find the answer to this question last week because I also have a very lush full garden where nothing blooms in June, except for my daylilies. I've seen coreopsis threadleaf blooming as well as dianthus. Also, spirea is blooming now - which is a bush, not a perennial per se, but I love them so I have a few around the property so I get some blooms in June. My echinacea (purple cone flower) has buds on top, but from what I remember last year - they won't bloom until July anyway.

• JustJoeyGirl
    19 years ago

I am glad to see that I am not the only one with a lull in mid June. Things are starting to perk up. Some of the flowers that carry me through this time are of course the Stella d'Oro,
    some clematis (Florida Seiboldii),
    some asiatic lilies (Lollypop), LA lily Casa Rosa, others still in bud
    roses are good in June,
    dianthus, centaurea, Jacob's Ladder, Madonna lilies,
    lamium, daisies and rose campion (very showy magenta),
    veronica Red Fox, Goodness Grows, and Pink Damask-icicle still in bud,
    achillea, asclepias in full bloom makes a nice show,
    my monarda Cambridge Scarlet is just starting to flower,
    lavender is blooming now too,
    phlox David (in one bed), salvia May Night (second flush) and camomile (sp?),
    coreopsis and evening primrose yellow and light pink ones.

I have a Japanese Maple with lambs ear planted around the perimeter, nice contrast of soft and fuzzy with lacy..burgundy red with silvery gray in one of my borders. There is also a shady spot there where I use lamium, hosta,epimedium, and ferns (Harts Tongue and Maidenhair) with tiarella Wherryi..it adds some interest.

It looks like a lot, but spread out over several gardens they don't have the impact of the spring or summer flowers, but soon because there are lots of buds. I can't wait, my white garden is about to burst into bright white, right now its mostly foliage, the annuals are carrying it. Good luck. JoAnn

• shaolin
    19 years ago

Roses of course. And my nepeta is still going strong. My Oriental Poppies are about to go, too. Foxglove. All sorts of bellflowers. I think my Monarda is going to bloom soon, too. My delphiniums are still gorgeous. Sweet William. Also not perennials but easy annuals from seed (just thrown into the garden in early spring) all sorts of poppies and toadflax and corn flowers.

• bamboogrrrl
    19 years ago

My annabelle hydrangeas are almost open now, the Japanese iris and coreopsis look good together, nasturiums are just starting, and the coralbells and nepeta bloom longterm next to each other. The ditch lilies have opened with the "Stella DÂOro" lilies. The roses "Abraham Darby" and "Kathryn Morley" are blooming. The trumpet vine has buds as does the clematis. Anyday now for the echinaceaÂ

• linnea2
    19 years ago

JoAnn,
    did you deadhead your S. May Night?
    Mine are doing some desultory re-blooming, but very minor.
    They were planted this spring, any hope for more show next year?

I deadheaded some and let others be, it didn't seem to make a difference.

I'm looking into six-packs of several Clematis for mid-June!
    Can't have too many Clematis!
    I got half a dozen for 3 bucks each at Adams last fall,
    they bloomed at once (late October) and are blooming now!

• JustJoeyGirl
    19 years ago

Hi, yes I deadheaded my salvia May Night recently, it is reblooming now, of course, not the origninal show, which was awsome this year. I find that the subsequent rounds of blooms are usually less for me, but still nice. The first year or two the plant was in place it was just ok..this year is it's really very nice. I started out with three quart size pots, small plants, but they are nice full large plants now.

• linnea2
    19 years ago

Thanks JoAnn,
    is it too late to deadhead now?
    I saw on another thread that some people just take a hedge trimmer
    to their Salvais and Coreopsis, shearing them down to where the leaves are full...

• JustJoeyGirl
    19 years ago

I think it is fine to deadhead now. I wouldn't trust myself with a hedge trimmer or line trimmer, I just do it with hand held pruners. When I trim mine, I usually can see where new spires would come from and trim to just above that, it usually is where the leaves are full.

Susan lilies are a nice addition to the June garden, I snapped a photo yesterday of some.. also some veronica Pink Damask (new this spring) and a few others in a shot. Here's a pic.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Joey, what are those tiny pink lilies in your picture? Your photos are glorious.

Thanks all, for the suggestions. It's funny, but I have most of the plants suggested. It's just that the lush greenery seems to dominate. When I walked around and actually counted the plants in bloom, it's a lot. Spread out over a few garden beds, it doesn't look like so much. I carefully planned for 4 season interest, but with space restrictions, that means less in bloom all together.

Joey, you also seem to have a lot of blooming annuals (verbena and lobelia) that fill in the picture. How did you get them to be so big at this point in the season? Did you buy large plants?

I cut back on annuals this year in favor of less labor intensive perennials (can't take the bending over anymore,) and I miss the color. The ones I planted from seed won't show till July. It's always something new with the garden!

• oldroser
    19 years ago

Those pink lilies look like Lollipop. Also blooming now various geraniums, digitalis, nepeta, salvia Blue Hills, butterfly weed, eryngiums, malva, lysimachia ciliata (weedy), campanulas still flowering, and roses.

• JustJoeyGirl
    19 years ago

Yes, that was Asiatic lily Lollypop. I don't have any lobelia in those beds. I think what you may be seeing is the Angelonia, an annual. The only plants that I bought relativeliy big, were the strobilanthes and the angelonia. Well that's not true the yellow daisies in the photos were small in a 4" pot. The rest were 4 packs from the nurseries, not very big at all. I did put them in end of April, some didn't make it. The magenta/pink in the back ground of the veronica is a miniature rose that has been there for years, Cherry Sizzler, I think. I use a digital camera for macro photos, I just can't seem to take good shots of the entire beds, no matter what the setting. I really want to, but they just don't come out good. Too grainy even with high resolution.

I know what you mean about the foliage. You have to see my white garden. In person it's great, in photos the green takes over. I am trying to get that 20 minute window after dusk to capture the white without the green.

Here's some butterfly weed in bloom too, behind the orange lily, surrounding that is monarda Marshall's Delight (I pinched it back a few times this year so it isn't blooming yet, now I wish I hadn't). I think each of my gardens has a special time of it's own. One is the highlight of the yard then when that one wanes, another is blooming. I didn't plan it that way it just happened. Right now I have a multicolored cottage-y looking garden in the front of my porch. It just worked out that way.

• tomr
    19 years ago

Bee balm and purple coneflowers and black eyed Susans are about to pop open. Perennial sunflowers as well. Something keeps chewing down my phlox, I suspect a woodchuck.

Tom

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida