Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hibuscus question

Posted by Giniene z6a NY (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 30, 05 at 20:31

I planted a hibuscus last year from a root that was given to me by a co-worker. It was very tiny and I planted it in front of other plants. Well, now it is humongous and is overtaking everything behind it. My feeling is that I shouldn't transplant it now but I need expert opinions on this. Should I wait until fall to move this large sucker or can I do it now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hibuscus question

Wait until the fall when the plant has gone dormant, or early spring before it starts to shoot. Mine generally don't start growing again until late May, so there is plenty of time. Take as much of the roots as you can-Hibiscus don't really take to transplanting once they are well established in their spot.

Joel

o
RE: hibuscus question

Thanks, yes mine didn't start until late May or early June too. I think I will wait, although it looks bad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here