Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_ny5

White Flower Farm Open House

Susan_NY5
18 years ago

Has anyone ever gone to the White Flower Farm Open House? it's this Saturday, June 25th, and i'm thinking about making it a day trip for my mom and me. Just wondering if anyone has any advice for the trip, or that area ( Litchfield Connecticut).

Susan

Comments (4)

• JustJoeyGirl
    18 years ago

I've wanted to go for a few years, but never seem to make it. Thanks for the reminder, maybe this year. The only thing I might do, since I would be out that way, would be to stop in at Broken Arrow Nursery which is a few exits further down off of 84. A bit off the beaten path, but lots of interesting plants. Their website doesn't list their perennials, but I picked up some very nice sized ones, reasonable last time I was there ( a year or two ago ).

www.brokenarrownursery.com/

I am not too familiar with the Litchfield area, and I have to say, I haven't really ventured around there to see what was there.

Have a great time if you go..please let us know how it was...JoAnn

Here is a link that might be useful: Broken Arrow Nursery

• User
    18 years ago

My husband and I visited there several years ago when we did a weekend in Connecticut. It's not an enormous, commercial nursery, which was what I expected.

It has beautiful plants to look at and purchase. I especially liked the shrub tapestry and their Daphne's.

Lining one of the paths (or was it a road) was the first time I'd seen hostas used as a ground cover. There may have been more to see, but it was a cold day and it started to rain hard.

• JustJoeyGirl
    18 years ago

Did anyone go to the open house, we missed it again this year. I was going to go to the Newport Flower and Garden show, but missed that too. Hubby had to work. : (

• Susan_NY5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We went to the open house and had a very nice time touring the grounds, even though it was swelteringly hot that day! The thing that impressed me most was the greenhouse full of tuberous begonias with HUGE flowers in the most brilliant colors. I lived in Washington State briefly long ago, and first saw them there where they flourish in the cool, moist air and are grown as bedding plants.
    as for White Flower Farm, I'm glad i went, but it WAS quite a hike from Orange County, and i'm not sure i'd do it again. They had big boxes of lots of bare root perennials for $1 each, mostly lilies. Shrubs were 30% off i believe, and perrenials, too. After enjoying their catalog for nearly 20 years, it was fun to see the place. Since i already have things sitting in pots waiting to be planted, i was good and didn't buy anything ;o) amazing!

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor