Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea2

Sweat and water

linnea2
18 years ago

There is definitely something salutary about giving in to the wet heat

and just keep digging, sweating and drinking water.

The cool water becomes a magic elixir! You share it with the plants:

It's the one thing we all want and need, I'm never closer to the plants

as other creatures, than on days like these. My well water is also the best

water I've ever had, it's alive, unlike the bottled stuff.

I think the sweating eliminates toxins we can't otherwise get rid of.

And suddenly there are not so many potted plants sitting around any more!

Results! And then knock off somewhere cool for a spell, and then,

how about those Poppies next? And where am i putting the Helenium Mooreheim?

I know, it's too hot for June, plants we should have enjoyed for

more than a week are done in a few days.

I confess I'm already visualizing the glories of NEXT June.

But all in all, it's great, isn't it?

Comments (5)

• susanzone5 (NY)
    18 years ago

I prefer my air conditioned house these days. I tour the garden for about an hour just to admire my beauties and munch some peas, pull a few weeds. But great isn't a word I'd use for this weather. Moldy, maybe. But I love your attitude!

• jayco
    18 years ago

Gotta agree with Susan...I admire your attitude but I intensely dislike this heat and humidity. All my flowers are popping and wilting and my peonies only lasted 4 days! But it does look nice in this hazy light. And I do love thunderstorms.

• 33Cat
    18 years ago

I'd love to have the option of air conditioning, but for now my old house will have to settle for ceiling fans!

We've been going out in the evenings lately to work in the garden, with the wee one playing in her pool (and sneaking up to splash us!). I'm trying to get everything mulched so it won't dry out so fast. My tomatoes and zucchini are loving this weather, and I can't wait to start seeing flowers on them.

I agree about the water, sweating, and eliminating toxins. You visit the bathroom a lot more, but boy does your skin start to look better! In weather like this, I like to add some orange juice to a big glass of H2O and pretend I'm on the French Riviera!

• oldroser
    18 years ago

I've been getting out right after breakfast in order to do an hour or so of gardening before the heat really kicks in. Have to admit that back to back rose shows this past weekend left me too beat to even think about it this morning but was just out looking and there are things crying for attention. The tomatoes need to be hoed and pruned, I've still got annuals and perennials to put in and a few tomatoes to plant. The sugar snaps need picking and I'll get at that tomorrow and have them for lunch. The garden is just coming into bloom with some of the old roses opening their first flowers this morning and Chettle Charm campanula starting up. Out in back new plants of verbascum Jackie and Jackie in Pink are in flower and the lupines are carrying on. And so, unfortunately is the trumpet vine which I can never get totally eradicated.
    I could wish that the blooms didn't fade so fast - it's going to be a short season with lilies opening even before the roses fade. Have to grab it as it goes by.

• robbiezone5
    18 years ago

yeah, i complain about the heat. but then i like to joke: "those new plants aren't gonna plant themselves..." living in the city, i kind of look forward to the weekend garden workout. i used to think that gardening was so simple. and i think that friends who visit our house have no idea of what kind of labor actually goes into this. they just show up and there's a lush flower jungle that magically appears from the ground. people who have never done it have _no idea_.

i like to start work in the morning, too, when it's still cooler. but then i end up working through the entire day -- breaking sometimes for water, of course -- taking advantage of every second of daylight.

but i kind of like the feeling of a hard day's workout in the yard, followed by sipping sidecars on the porch in the evening. no pain, no gain.

--robbie--

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!