Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

Hudson Valley Home and garden tours?

Richard Dollard
11 years ago

I'm mostly on the New England board but decided to hop over to here and seek some advice. We are thinking about taking a drive out to the Hudson Valley saturday and was wondering if there are any homes or garden tours around. We have been to the Vanderbilt mansion in Hyde Park and Lyndhurst Castle. What about Kykuit? Any other homes open for tours? I didn't see any Open Garden tours for this saturday yet. Besides the homes is there anything else we shouldn't miss? Thanks, Richie

Comments (24)

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

Pick up a local newspaper like the Woodstock Times. They have all the garden tours listed.

There are many mansions along the Hudson River that are now open to the public, with beautiful gardens and grounds and trails. They are part of either the National Park Service or NY State parks or NY Preservation parks.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, since I posted this we have been to that area several times. Our next trip is in the late fall to Staatsburg to that huge mansion. Staying for two nights at a B & B this time. If you have any other places to offer that we shouldn't miss please post them. Thanks!

• Hudson Valley NY (zone 5)
    7 years ago

If you are still visiting the Hudson Valley, I recommend going to the Hudson Valley Garden Calendar http://www.hvgardencalendar.com/, they have garden tours listed. If you google historic homes to visit Hudson Valley NY, you will find a lot of them. I also list gardens to visit on https://hudsonvalleygardens.us Hope you enjoy visiting this beautiful area!

• nyboy
    7 years ago

Vanderbilt mansion in Hyde park Mr. Vanderbilt collect rare ( in his day ) trees.

Richard Dollard thanked nyboy
  • Richard Dollard thanked nyboy
  • Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We have actually stayed in Hyde Park at few times at Journey Inn B & B and used that for seeing the Hudson Valley. Haven't done any garden tours but we are seeing all of the mansions. Have to get up to Wilderstein soon. Seems every time we are there it's closed.

• nyboy
    7 years ago

Richard have you done the house tours of Westchester Lyndhurst ( my favorite very gothic) Rockerfellers Kykuit boscobel if you visit Oct Sleepy Hollow does whole headless horseman tour

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, we have done those two homes but not Washington Irving's place yet. Any new antique places out that way? Lyndhurst was the first a long time ago and we want to go back.

• Hudson Valley NY (zone 5)
    7 years ago

There are lots of antique stores in the town of Hudson & village of Saugerties

Richard Dollard thanked Hudson Valley NY (zone 5)
  • nyboy
    7 years ago

I have been very lucky at the Hopewell antique center There is a flea market Sundays in Poughkeepsie what is nice is it is just down the street from Adams nursery. I get to hit both on a good Sunday. The Bottle shop on rt 44 Millbrook is great if you like to hunt though piles of junk for that great find.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Haven't been to Hopewell Junction. Been to several places along route 9 up through Rhinebeck, Red Hook and Hudson. Hudson is fun but not into mid century modern. We enjoyed Benmarl winery a few years ago. Been through Millbrook and Millerton but not sure about the Bottle Shop. Beautiful country up that way too.

• nyboy
    7 years ago

Hopewell center is 3 floors, lots of collectibles. But you never know when a dealer will have a really old piece. bottleshop reminds me of the TV show Standford and son, kind of fun junkyard. Beacon has really changed for better, a few fun shops on main st then of course the museum.

• nyboy
    7 years ago

Richard where in Ct are you ? I used to live in Westport, my ex owned Harbor view antique center in stamford .

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    7 years ago

nyboy, I am in the poor section of CT. Just outside New Haven in Ansonia. We go down to Stamford every so often and even though most of the shops around Canal St are pricey you find a bargain once in awhile. We were just in Harbor View a few weeks ago and although I love that place it's way out of my league.

• nyboy
    7 years ago

LOL yep I know what you mean the centers in Stamford relies on designers spending clients money. Have you been to Boscobel ? for some reason not as well known as other houses.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Haven't been to Boscobel but it's in my GPS. The Frederic Church house is in there also. Our usual haunts are Stratford Antique Center in Stratford, Antiques on the Farmington in Collinsville, and Collinsville Antique Center in New Hartford. We also like driving along the shoreline past Branford and there are several shops up that way too. We haven't been to the Elephants Trunk in a long time. We have been working on my downstairs apartment for over a year now and getting ready to move in there soon. And then we get to start upstairs and paint that apartment and then look for a new tenant.

• nyboy
    7 years ago

wow have not been to Elephants Trunk in years. Boscobel is a sweet house filled with american antiques, during summer they used to have free concerts on the grounds. Not sure if they still do. Have you ever been to Chelsea flea market in NYC ?

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have been to the flea markets in New York City but not in quite a few years. Used to like going down to the garage fleamarket and the other one in Chelsea when it was down around 25th or 26 street. I used to go to Stormville quite often to but not anymore. I need to get rid of some stuff and instead collecting more.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    7 years ago

There are some great antique centers in New Bedford Massachusetts. One of them has a glass museum on the first floor in a big antique Center on the top floor.

• nyboy
    7 years ago

I know what you mean, need to thin collections LOL I just realized this thread was started July 2012

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Go figure! Are you on Facebook?

• nyboy
    7 years ago

yes but dont really go on to many distance family members coming out of woodwork LOL