Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
earwigs

Posted by robbieZone5 z5 HudsonValley (mygoodtwin2002@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Jul 12, 05 at 10:51

are there more earwigs out and about than normal? i've noticed them a lot lately, but it may be because i've been doing a lot more gardening than ever before. the other day i was at an agway store, and overheard some people inquiring about earwig control --- that they're seeing them much more than usual. and another person recently commented that she's seen a lot of them this year.

i hate clipping a flower, only to have one of these critters drop down to my hand from the flower. the other day, i was watering, i noticed a stone out of place. moved it, and discovered a swarm of them clustered beneath the stone. i also created a small rainstorm or earwigs when i opened our door a couple weekends ago -- they were crawling all over the inner edges of the door.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: earwigs

Yes, it seems I've had LOTS more than usual and the darn things creep me out! They've been even more trouble on my roses than the darn Japanese beetles.

I'm going to try the dish of water/soy sauce/ light oil and see if it traps them.

o

let me know how that works out for you, tomtuxman. i've had success, earlier on in the season, with a mixture of water and dish detergent applied with a spray bottle. this seems to have helped in curtailing something that i noticed eating some leaves. i never saw the culprit, but after i applied this -- it did seem to decrease the leaf munching.

--robbie--

o

I hate earwigs! They burrow inside the petals of my dahlias, then I inadvertently bring them inside when I cut some. My cats find them when they crawl out of the dahlia, and eat them and get sick on my carpet. Ugh!

o

I've seen a lot of them myself this year. Man are they ugly suckers! I'm more concerned about the jap beetles though this year, they are BAD, worse than the past couple of years.

Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here