Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kgates_gw

Where can I buy straw?

KGates
18 years ago

Hello all. I'm in Lower Westchester (Dobbs Ferry), and have looked all over the local nurseries, Home Depot, etc. and can't seem to find straw (for mulching, composting browns, efc.) anywhere. Does anyone around here know a place? I found salt hay, but no straw.

Also a good supplier of gravel and/or metal landscape edging?

Everyone in my neighborhood just hires immigrants to do all their dirty work and look at me like I'm some kind of freak for doing it all myself...

Comments (16)

• orcuttnyc
    18 years ago

Find a local feed store. They always have straw by the bale.

• makalu_gw
    18 years ago

I've bought the metal landscape edging at Lowe's ... if I remember correctly, it was around $8 for an 8 foot section. My neighbors also look at me funny when I'm out working but it's just because I've been doing it by hand and they love to ride around on bobcats and backhoes!

• WestchesterGrower
    18 years ago

Is straw the same thing as hay? A nursary up in Croton On Hudson has that, but they do not sell in bulk. Just large bags. If you need more info, feel free to email me.

• robbiezone5
    18 years ago

you might want to also try looking in the local papers -- in the classifieds section. i've had good luck finding things like firewood by looking through those ads. sometimes, people will post a flyer in places like a grocery or diner --- so you could look these over, too.

good luck!
    --robbie--

• oldroser
    18 years ago

Westchester has feed stores catering to the horsy set. Try the yellow pages. Agway stocks it.
    No, hay and straw are different and hay should not be used as mulch since it contains weed seeds.

• WestchesterGrower
    18 years ago

Thanks for that info, oldroser.

• LAA668984
    18 years ago

Hay has weed seeds in it, straw doesn't. I learned this the hard way years ago when we seeded our new lawn, and covered it in hay instead of straw. We didn't know there was a difference. So we got beautiful grass, and lots of weeds too. I would think that feed stores would carry hay. I want to get some straw too, because I am seeding a newly cleared area of my property. Wouldn't a garden center be the best place to find it? Not Home Depot type stores, but a garden center. Up here, in Dutchess County, I go to Adams, our local garden center, for that kind of stuff.

• nygardener
    18 years ago

In Ulster County, you can buy chopped straw bagged in compressed bales (from Gallo's in Woodstock, for example). That makes it handy for hauling home. I believe it's produced by Iron Will Farm, in Connecticut (860 355-8693). They're about an hour's drive from Dobbs Ferry, or you could call to ask them for the nearest retailer.

• sweetclg
    18 years ago

I remember seeing straw for mulching at Rosedales- just 10 minutes up the Saw Mill from you. They definitely had it last fall, but I'm not sure if they keep any on hand over the summer.

I'm just a hop and a skip away from you in Ardsley, and I know what you mean about being, well, the rare sight in our neighborhood. Sometimes the gardening service people watch me work while they're on break from manicuring the neighborhood lawns and gardens. There's always a lot of head-shaking going on. : D

• KGates
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks all.

Rosedale, which is my absolute favorite nursery, only has salt hay, which I used os the new asparagus patch and then got all worried thinking I might salt burn the little things of get even more weeds. Thus the switch to straw. The bright oragney color is a bit uneasthetic in my view, but it's the best thing for what I'm doing I'm told.

I finally found straw (at $12/bale) in Bedford Hills at a horsey set place called Bedford Feed and Grain. I think my four bales will pretty much set me up for the rest of my life!

-- Katharine Gates

• cathy_in_ny
    18 years ago

Hi, I get my straw from D&D on Tuckahoe road in yonkers

• anita55
    15 years ago

Whispering Pine on Route 6 in Mahopac has straw.

• nycynthias
    15 years ago

KGates, thank you for the update! That place is near me, and I need straw too.

• tlaurer_optonline_net
    13 years ago

Anyone know where I can buy straw in the Chester/ Warwick area of Orange County?

• otterkill
    10 years ago

Anyone can tell me where I can buy straw in the Washingtonville area of Orange County NY? Thanks!

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

Try Adams Fairacre Farms in Newburgh. I know they sell it at Adams in Kingston.

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County