Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese beetles

Posted by rococogurl (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 14, 06 at 11:33

Hi all,

I've got a first year postreno garden which is pretty simple but I did plant a few bush roses and I've never noticed the Japanese beetles just sitting there on them so boldly. Does everyone have these this year? Nearly as bad as the catepillars.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese beetles

Yep, they're out in force now for the next few weeks. They've been a bit weird this year though - they're still eating my berries but they've expanded their palate to the potatoes, asparagus and roses. The milky spore that I put down last year is helping but I still have to get out every morning with a bucket of soapy water and knock them off the leaves into the bucket. Definitely worse than the caterpillars ... those I can just dust with BT to control.

o

I have a Teece brand Japanese beetle trap that I place about 25-30 feet away from the area I want to protect. I have so far in the past 3 days caught HUNDREDS and HUDREDS of these little %$#^@'s! To kill I just dip the plastic container into hot soapy water for a half hour. These things really work.

Tom

o

Tom, how do those traps do at keeping the beetles away from your plants? Some people have said that they catch lots of beetles, but attract even more of them to the vicinity of your garden.

o

Putting the traps at a distance is the secret to using them - don't hang them up over your plants. On your property line or on your neighbor's property is the best place but 50 to 100 feet away from the garden is the ideal.

o

Also Milky spore is the ground treatment.

http://www.milkyspore.com/milkyspore.htm

o

Tommyr -- would someplace like Agway have the traps or do I need to order online? The beetles are so bold they are literally nesting in the roses. thanks.

o

Do they seem to be on the wane? Mine (knock wood) are less numerous this week.

o

... By the way, I found (by accident) a nice way to control Japanese beetles: grow evening primrose (Oenothera), a pretty yellow flowering perennial or biennial. The beetles love this plant and will gather on its leaves ... just shake them into a tub of warm soapy water.

o

Agway should have traps or just about any garden center.

o

• Posted by kareen z5 NY Renss.Co. (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 27, 06 at 10:13

I caught one the other day on my hibiscus and threw it in the pond.My large comet loved it for lunch!!!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here