Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coyote alert!

Posted by tommyr z6 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 17, 09 at 16:25

If you're in northwestern town of Poughkeepsie be advised, I saw a coyote go through my back yard last week. My first in person coyote!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coyote alert!

Wow!

I've been hearing rumors of coyotes in the area for about 2 years now. I'm in City of Poughkeepsie near the high school and I've heard about sightings on the other side of Hooker Ave near Vassar Farm.

o

We get them now and then but that was my first live sighting. We also get black bears once in a while and foxes. Deer are a common sight as are turkeys and red tailed hawks. I'm in the Northern Town of Poughkeepsie.

o

In the City deer are a problem both in the garden and on the streets since they will cross without regard to traffic. This year we seem to have traded groundhogs for bunnies - same net effect on my garden. We don't seem to get the turkeys in C/Pok so far. I'm convinced the coyotes are moving closer, it's only a matter of time.

So far no bears - only rumors.

o

Lots of chucks and bunnies this year here as well. Caught 2 baby chucks so far, I need to get an adult sized trap next.

I had to put up a deer fence around my veggies, the deer were eating the tomato plants....

o

So far the deer have stayed out of the veggies and concentrated on the flower garden. The baby bunnies were enjoying parts of the vegetable garden until the neighbor's cats started enjoying the baby bunnies. Various birds and squirrels have been enjoying the strawberries. I got to eat one ripe strawberry.

A coyote would be an interesting addition to the wildlife habitat around here.

o

• Posted by ppod 6 SE NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 13, 09 at 12:28

Welcome! As it is, more large predators are called for, from hunters and on down the ladder to address the overpopulation of chipmunks, woodchucks, skunks, coons, and whatnot. Weasels (indiginous) would be nice to have around again too.

5 minutes ago, I had to curse at the woodchuck to leave my chard alone. He likes roaming and won't go in the trap. He needs the company of a fully-grown coyote.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here