Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea2

Particular variegated Dogwood, local nursery?

linnea2
18 years ago

Looking for Cornus Controversa Variegata.

So far I've checked Adams, Phantom G. and Story's

(which, oddly enough had it, "quarantined" that won't be

available for two seasons yet)

They're very light colored and strongly horizontally tiered.

I need one for a dark shady backdrop by a new pond.

Also considering the dwarf Willow Hakuro Nishiki (which I've located)

I may just have to have both..

Any leads?

Here is a link that might be useful: This one!

Comments (10)

• JustJoeyGirl
    18 years ago

May I suggest Broken Arrow Nursery in Hamden CT, which is about an hour and a half from me here in New Windsor. I see they have it listed at $25 for a 1 yr plant, and 35 for a 2 gallon specimen. Here's a link below to their website. You should go if you get the chance, they have many unusual items there. I have to say, the next time I am there I am going to take a look for that cornus myself..the description sounds like a great specimen. Good Luck JoAnn

Here is a link that might be useful: Broken Arrow Nursery : Cornus Controversa Variegata

• JustJoeyGirl
    18 years ago

I put in the link above, but realize it just went to their price list of trees and shrubs,not their website direct, so here's their website link below. I used Mapquest, put in their address and it gave perfect directions for me....good thing they give mileage..the sign for Gaylord Mountain Road was missing, but the mileage listed on mapquest was exact. Found it no problem. Good Luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Broken Arrow Nursery

• linnea2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Why, thank you JoeyGirl!
    I'll definitely give them a call to make sure they still have it.
    Sounds like an interesting place, too.
    I'll have to make time for a visit!
    I just made time for Stonecrop, so why not another treat ;o)

• JustJoeyGirl
    18 years ago

You're welcome. It was great, we were there about two weeks ago. I could definitely spend a full day there just looking, but I never do that, ha ha ha. Neither just look, nor spend the whole day! I always find something interesting to take home. We usually go there when we are passing through. Someday I am going to make the trip there just for me, nothing else planned. Stonecrop you say, eh? Where is that, may I ask, I am always looking for new places to visit, and take home a 'souvenier'.

Hope they have what you want, or can at least direct you to where you can get it...JoAnn

• linnea2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

JoAnn, Oldroser just posted regarding Stonecrop, just a few threads down.
    Not sure about "souvenirs", tempting though that might be...
    besides pictures and notes.
    We're going tomorrow.
    What I really need now, is a white hat, having come close to
    sun stroke lately. I'll just have to make one tonight ;)

• JustJoeyGirl
    18 years ago

Oh, thank you. I see that one now, sorry. Now I understand it is a public garden, not a nursery....definitely no souveniers there..sorry for the comment. I thought it was another local nursery that I hadn't heard of. I will have to visit there soon. Enjoy your visit, and try to stay cool...JoAnn

• linnea2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No, I'M sorry JoAnn, we WERE discussing nurseries!

I'm sure I'd love to bring a spade and some nursery pots and help myself.
    But pictures will do fine!

• giniene
    18 years ago

Last year I wanted a pink dogwood and nobody could get me one anywhere. On the suggestion of a neighbor, I called Hank Leake Nursery, right near Beacon. He was able to track one down for me. The number is 845-831-6122. Good luck!

• linnea2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Giniene, I'll give them a call. Beacon's a little closer.
    Could have gone today, actually, visiting Stonecrop, (duh).
    JoAnn, I checked Mapquest, Hamden is three hours from me, we just picked up
    an Ebay vehicle near there. That would be a grand tour.
    Maybe if it's anywhere near White Flower farm, I'll check,
    that's another place I'd like to see sometime.

• JustJoeyGirl
    18 years ago

Hi linnea, Broken Arrow is not too far from White Flower Farm, depending on how far you call too far. I'd say they are a good 45 minutes apart. If you are going out East on Route 84 in CT, White Flower Farm is exit 17 and Broken Arrow is exit 23. Where White Flower Farm is about 30 minutes off of the highway, Broken Arrow is about 10. I find it takes me the same amount of time to get to each from my home. Most of the time is spent on the single lane roads going to and from the highway.

I've gone to both in the same trip since I was out that way, and of course, got some things at both. The first time I went to Broken Arrow, we went there first and then went to White Flower Farm. I had seen a beautiful Maiden Hair Fern at BA, but decided to wait until I got to WFF to see what they had. After getting to WFF, the Maiden Hair Fern was a single stem in a small pot for more money. I was very dissappointed I didn't get it at BA. I bought the one at WFF because we were there, and I wasn't able to drive back to BA to get the better on. My next trip out to BA I bought another Maiden Hair Fern along with lots of other goodies. I am satisfied with their pricing. I'd say visit both if you can. I have never had any problems with anything I have purchased from either place. They carry different things, which is nice...a few of the same, in which case I'd probably buy from BA over WFF, mainly for size and price. I've never been to WFF this time of year, I should go just to see their display gardens. I've found many plants that were beautiful, that they offered in their catalog, that I missed because the photo just had not done it justice.

Either way, enjoy your trip if you go! Let us know how you liked it and if they had your dogwood. JoAnn