Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small tree for raised bed

Posted by beethegardener (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 08 at 12:20

Hi, I am designing my first garden for a friend and I need to put a tree in a raised bed that borders a patio. It gets full sun and there is a fence behind the bed so it has to be a vase-shaped tree - I had thought that an Amur Maple would be good but it turns out they are hard to come by in my area. Would a redbud be a good alternative? Other thoughts/suggestions? Thanks :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small tree for raised bed

Good small trees include... sargent crab, pee gee hydrangea, star magnolis

o

Another tree that would be about the size of a redbud is a dogwood, whether traditional pink or white, or Japanese. The Kousa dogwood, a Japanese import is readily available in this area and very happy to grow here - even in the upper elevations of the Catskills! It flowers later than the traditional dogwood, safely following our famous May freezes, the flowering lasts for weeks, and is followed by colorful raspberry-colored, (edible) drupes. Fall foliage is a pretty red. The double- trunked Kousa in my front yard is about 20' tall at 15 years of age.

o

Hi, thanks for the ideas - I'd love to use any of the trees suggested,but I'm limited by the proximity to the patio - the owners don't want to clean up flower petals or fruits. I tried to explain that all trees have some kind of fruit/flower or both but got a blank look. Should I be concerned about planting a small maple or a crape myrtle in a raised bed?

o

How about a Japanese maple? Expensive but beautiful, and with so many varieties to choose from you should be able to find the appropriate size.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here