Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justjoeygirl

I need motivation..how about you?

JustJoeyGirl
19 years ago

I need motivation to get back out there and clean up the messes from all the rain and wind. I haven't been out in the gardens to do anything in three weeks. We had a death in the family, then I pulled a back muscle, then it rained and rained. So now that the sun is shining and I've taken a good look at all there is to do, I find I am getting a little overwhelmed, any body else's garden's get away from them?

It seems the crabgrass just appeared from nowhere, and it is everywhere. The branches and leaves have fallen on some of the plants and need to be retrieved and plants cut back due to damage. Things got knocked over...dahlias even though they were staked took a beating, and when I tried to stake one upright again a main stem broke off. Species lilies got knocked down, the edges are overgrown, deadheading galore to do. Ahh, I feel better just talking about it. As I write, I find I am saying ok, it can be done..thanks for listening.

Usually I find my interest wanes by the end of July, but last year I put in some late summer and fall bloomers to keep the interest up, and it has worked so far, I have anticipation for some new plants I've never seen in bloom before..Anemone Honerine Jobert, Moonflowers, formanosanum lilies, tuberose. I put in more asters and mums and some grasses and helianthes. I used to get so frustrated by animals eating everything, drought, etc...now I have a spray that seems to work, we've gotten rain, and I have a new watering wand that I like. I had kept up all the maintanence, then this...so it gets overwhelming. I've gotten farther into the season, and it's not from lack of interest, just letting things go for a few weeks during an August with rain. I think I am fearful of re-injuring my back with all the bending that needs to be done.

Not much to say to this, I know. Does anyone else feel like venting?

Comments (9)

• oldroser
    19 years ago

Yes it looks a bit sad out there and the weeds sure got the upper hand during all that rain. But I was out this evening picking tomatoes - a half dozen large Supersonic and one Cherokee Purple - and though they badly need tying up, it looks as if there will be a big crop.
    The only thing that looks really good now is the nicotiana sylvestris which has gotten huge and is in full bloom against a background of tall miscanthus. That combination was accidental but I must remember it for next year. The nicoltiana also smells great - I was looking around to see if there were any oriental lilies still in bloom.

• shaolin
    19 years ago

I'm with you guys. My garden is gorgeous right now - the rain made everything jump about a foot - but that includes the weeds. And everytime I walk out there and think about doing anything about it, I get tired and go back inside. It's like a jungle. Everything is out of control. It's been a great summer for establishing plants - all the rain and moderate temperatures have made things grow like crazy - but man, just contemplating all the cleaning and weeding and trimming exhausts me!

• 33Cat
    19 years ago

I am overwelmed by the weeds, too. I was enjoying all the blooms, though, until a storm blew through the other night and decimated my garden! Blooms blown off, stems broken in half, and a lot of stuff literally laid flat! I wasn't home for the storm so I wondered if hail was involved.

• User
    19 years ago

I give up in the garden in August. The heat and humidity just about kill me so I spend my outside time sitting under the patio umbrella looking at the weeds with disgust. But I also sit there and envision changes I want to make in the fall and following spring.

Usually the cooler weather hits and my enthusiasm comes back so I'm not too hard on myself or my August attitude.

• cccatcrazy
    19 years ago

Yeah, I know what you mean -- August doldrums! What energy I still have is decimated by the need to harvest, blanch, freeze, can...oh, you know the drill! No time to worry about the small stuff like weeds -- and my poor flower beds are left to fend for themselves.

Had a great crop of peas -- they loved the cool summer, and kept bearing and bearing -- Too much cold and wet for good tomatoes; constant wet invites wilt and other viruses. Squash and eggplant are my other failures this year. Have other gardeners in the area noticed a distinct lack of pollinators this year??? No honey bees, very few bumbles.... But carrots and parsnips and beets and beans, beans, beans! All doing very well! The hummers are attracted to the scarlet runners and keep them well pollinated! Potatoes are waiting to be dug, but they will store better in the ground until the end of September -- then whatever's left of the root crops go into the root cellar -- if I pile lots of leaves on the parsnips, they will overwinter in the ground, and provide our first spring veggies from the garden == sooo sweet with all that stored sugar!!!.

Favorite crop this time of year? blueberries! Stick a quart container (the kind wonton soup comes in) in the freezer and toss in each day's picking (except what DH needs for his cereal!)By the end of August, we will (hopefully) have at least two containers full. The wet month has been good for the wild blackberries, too! Big, plump berries and lots of them! They get the same treatment. When the weather gets cooler, the frozen berries get dumped in a pot and it's jam time! Normally, there would already be several containers of raspberries waiting for their turn in the jam pot, but a combination of the wet and our neighborhood bear put paid to that crop! Have you ever seen what a bear can do to a raspberry patch in a single night! They like the tender new shoots (next year's berries, too!) as much as the berries, and literally strip the plants -- ripe berries, unripe berries, new leaves, all gone in a single night!

Okay, I've blathered on long enough -- Veggies are my passion, can you tell???

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hey, Dian57..ever hear of people that look like their pets? When I read your post, it made me think we gardeners are like what we sow. Some of my plants do great in spring, early summer, kind of peter out in August, and pick up in the cooler fall. Made for gardening I guess. Just a thought. More rain today...my formanosanum lilies bloomed in the white garden today, I can see them from my window, and if the rain lets up, I may venture over and take a peek. I was hoping they would hold out until September..my species lilies are blooming now in the white garden, I wanted to extend my lily season..Oh, well, at least I don't have to water them!

• giniene
    19 years ago

I know exactly what you guys mean. I went on vacation for 8 days, came back and the weeds were growing like crazy! I would pull out a bunch of them, turn my back for something and all of a sudden there were 87 more! It gets really aggravating and frustrating. I have 4 pots of plants that have been sitting for the last 3 weeks, need to be put in the ground but I am just so TIRED of digging holes I don't feel like doing anything. My gardens just look so pretty the way that they are that I don't feel like bothering anymore. Maybe some mums might help????????

• User
    19 years ago

JustJoeyGirl--now you've got me smiling, my dog is a basset hound!

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ha ha ha ha ha....you are too funny. : )

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH