Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldroser

A great year for tomatoes

oldroser
17 years ago

So far I 've picked 32 pounds and some are just starting to ripen. How did your crop make out?

Comments (6)

• hedwarr
    17 years ago

I have too many toms to handle! Hundreds of cherrys. Alot of my main crop is still ripening though. Keeping my fingers crossed. I picked a bunch of brandywines, mortgage lifters carbon, and Kellog's though. Some splitting due to heavy rains.

• lindz5
    17 years ago

Alot of splitting of the tomatoes this year, especially the cherries. I grow all heirloom varieties. I have such a belly ache from eating all the delicious tomatoes, can't we have these varieties all through the winter???

• nygardener
    17 years ago

I'm jealous! How did you all do it? I harvested a bumper crop last year, but only about a dozen tomatoes this season from two plants (Brandywine and Green Zebra). Maybe five pounds total. Between the cold, and the rain, and the heat, they only had a few decent weeks of growing weather ... and that wasn't enough for much of a harvest!

• linnea2
    17 years ago

I have four plants of grape tomatoes, several hundred and delicious, but,
    my business is in peak season and we didn't get to them til today.
    Over 2/3 of them are compost at this point, we're trying to eat the rest.

Is there a way to avoid the splitting? Once these get a small crack,
    they have to be picked immediately or they get eaten and rot within a day.
    There always seems to be heavy rains in tomato-ripening time.
    There are over a hundred left still green or just reddening.
    I've pruned off the flowers that haven't fruited yet.
    Just be there at the right moment?

• oldroser
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Best to pick them as soon as they start turning color and let them ripen indoors for a few days.
    Now that things have dried out, this problem should be solving itself. I notice that my Sungolds are no longer crackig. Of course, with the temperatures in the 30's this morning, the season may not last all that much longer but.....

• susanzone5 (NY)
    17 years ago

I had crummy production this year...low yields. I've never had it so bad. The difference may be the weather, but maybe it was the fact that I interplanted some annuals in the bare spaces in early June, because I was going on vacation. I transplanted most of them out when I returned, but the ones that remained seem to be negatively affecting the tomatoes' growth.

My cherries always crack, so I've been picking them early when a rain is expected. I usually have thousands of them, but this year, with low yield, each fruit is a treasure.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?