Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will it ever rain again?

Posted by LAA668984 z4/5 ny (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 15, 05 at 10:21

I haven't had rain in my area for 2 months. Even though, nearby areas have had a few storms, we have had nothing. I had hoped that last night we would get the rain that was forecasted, but we didn't. It says rain today, but its sunny outside. My garden is a disaster, everything is brown and the lawn is totally fried. Now, even some of my old bushes are dying. We've had low water pressure which we've been told is due to the well getting low, so we are conserving and don't water much. This is the hottest, driest summer I can remember in a long time. Just venting, I guess. But it is a big dissappointment to have all your garden efforts turn crispy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will it ever rain again?

Down here in NYC, it's clouding over. Supposedly the hurricane edges are moving north. Not that much precip forcasted tho. We do need rain. I've been watering my place in Orange County for a month. Ready to do the rain dance with me? A one, an a two...an a three...

o

• Posted by dian57 M-H Valley NY-5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 15, 05 at 20:49

We had a deluge around 4:30p in Goshen, did you get any?

o

I'm loving the rain we've been having the last two days. The only drawback is that everything that's been dried up and crispy in my yard since July will get a halfhearted second wind just when I'm trying to put the garden to bed. Next year I'm going to look into rain barrels more seriously, but with the small amount of precip. we've gotten this summer, I'm not sure they'd have been worth the effort this year!

o

No rain in my neighborhood yet...It has only rained here ONCE since June....crispy isn't even describing things now. OH the horror. The water tables are really low. We've been without water for 7 weeks...the drillers finally got here Wednesday and drilled...600 feet and still no real water..they had to hydro-fracture twice just to get us a little..Hopefully things will be hooked up and we can have water in the house again soon...My gardens aren't just shot for the season..they are mostly gone. Even the shrubs are dying. We really do need rain...our entire neighborhood is drying up. It is serious here.

I have been dancing as fast as I can orcuttnyc... it has to rain soon, doesn't it? ( I'll take snow at this point)

o

Justjoeygirl, I am sorry to hear you have to drill to get water. Nothing is worse than not having water. I guess I shouldn't complain about my dried up garden, it could always be worse. I hope your water situation improves soon!

o

This weekend, I found two of my fav trees dead. A tulip and a birch. I can't believe how fast established trees can wilt and die.

o

What was that? Rain?
Just finished pumping out the basement after the power came back on.
Hope everybody's pumps are working!

o

We had 10 inches here in West Hurley, and the waterfalls and streams are raging...gotta go hiking now!

o

We had about 8" on Sat. and it's raining today too. I guess the weather is making up for it and giving us the rain we didn't get all summer. I just seeded a recently cleared area with grass, but with all this rain, it will probably wash out all the seed. Oh well. At least it's giving the plants a good soak before winter.

o

We had over ten inches last weekend and it has been raining ever since -coming down very heavily right now. And no end in sight. I'm supposed to be out planting garlic today but it will have to wait until this is over - maybe next week?
We have sure made up our deficit in a hurr.

o

I've been tromping around in the rain (and mud) or huddling indoors. Thank goodness we got a break today. I was starting to wonder whether the sun would ever shine again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here