Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philomena_gw

Spring bulbs sprouting ?

philomena
17 years ago

I've just noticed that some of my spring bulbs are sprouting - they would be either muscari or scilla, I'm not sure which - I didn't label all that well :-) Is this a little strange ? I put in these bulbs last fall, and they bloomed beautifully this spring - but is this how they behave ? I'm worried this might hurt the spring growth - any ideas ?

Comments (4)

• oldroser
    17 years ago

Probably muscari - one of the drawbacks of the grape hyacinths is that they throw up foliage in fall and then stay green all winter and bloom in spring - or maybe it's an advantage. But it can be a nuisance if you want to make a clean sweep of the area they're in. Don't worry - the usual thing with them.

• philomena
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's good news, that this is usual behavior. I do recall, now, that not long after planting the bulbs last year, we had a period of very warm, spring like weather, and that the bulbs sprouted a little. I thought it was because of the weather. The leaves got nibbled by something - deer, woodchuck, I'm not sure, but recovered fine. Looks like they are naturalizing nicely - the clumps are much larger this year.

Thanks for the info :-)

• kayjones
    17 years ago

I have hyacinth and lily bulbs trying to break ground, so I just covered them with more soil - they will have to wait until spring in my garden.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    17 years ago

My bulbs do this every year, even throughout the winter after warm days. As long as the flower buds are safely underground, they'll be fine.

Sponsored