Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nygardener

Happy fall, everyone!

nygardener
18 years ago

It must just be my imagination, but I could swear the days have been shortening at an accelerating pace. Wasn't it just yesterday that the sun set at 8:30?

How have you been enjoying the waning days of summer, and preparing your garden for fall?

Comments (6)

• linnea2
    18 years ago

Thanks!
    My gardens are paradise just now. That you can BE in!
    All kinds of charming little morning glories flowering where they shouldn't,
    Silver Lace peaking, Caryopteris, Cannas, Sedum and Buddleja peaking.
    Weigela Wine and roses, Bee balm and Clematis re-blooming.
    And next week I don't have to work weekends, Waahoo!
    It IS a happy fall! Hope JoeyGirl got water!

• smilla
    18 years ago

I'm putting my garden to bed and getting ready to hand it off to the new owner. I'm very excited to be moving to the Hudson Valley in a couple of weeks. It will be hard to leave my Brooklyn garden behind, but I'm thrilled at the prospect of gardening in a bigger space.

• orcuttnyc
    18 years ago

Hey smilla..congrats! What part are you moving to? I'm a weekender in lower Orange. Bring us some rain... :) I spend most of my weekends moving the water sprinkler around. Lost a couple of nice young trees to this drought.
    Recently we have attracted owls. Keeps the squirrel pop in check. Sounds really cool around three to five in the morn as well. All of the call and response of 'who, who, whos'..Easier on the ears as opposed to garbage trucks crushing bottles at four in the morn, down hear on Bleecker Street.
    Anyways, best o' luck!

• susanzone5 (NY)
    18 years ago

My garden is so lush now. I love fall before the first frost. Spring plants revitalize and start to rebloom. I have roses, johnny jumpups, and gold poppies again, and the veggies just keep on coming. The asters are so vibrantly purple and fuchsia, and the chocolate sunflowers are 10 feet tall. Best thing is that the bugs are gone!

• robbiezone5
    18 years ago

after over a month of not getting up to the house, we're finally able to go back up and visit our gardens. a lot of our plants seemed to be very thirsty. i've given a good watering to everything --- and this appears to have been greatly appreciated. lots of cleaning up. looking over the gardens, thinking about moving things, noticing the "problem areas". taking advantage to finish-up some outside garden projects. we don't have many autumn-flowering plants, i want to work more on this. what are some of your favorite autumn flowering plants?

some of my favorites that are blooming for us now: tricyrtis, chocolate eupatorium, cimicifuga.

current blooms that i don't like: 'clara curtis' chrysanthemum, and an aster --- similar color to the chrysanthemum. i'm just not thrilled with the color of these. obedient plant --- i'm 'iffy' on the color -- it's richer, and looks ok close to the chocolate eupatorium.

aside from that, there are a few hostas that still have flowers.

but autumn is my favorite season, weather-wise. great temps for outdoor work.

--robbie--

• nygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Luckily, I got the essentials done before the rains. I dug another small vegetable bed (and unearthed another half ton of rocks), and put in a berry patch: two each of raspberries, blackberries, and gooseberries, with a quince tree in the corner! No need to worry about the roots drying out while they were settling in.

Pineapple sage has put on a spectacular bloom; it's amazing how huge the plants get in one short season. Garlic chives are finishedÂI guess I should cut them back before they self-sow. And my potted gardenia, of all things, is putting on a sweet-smelling second bloom.

Extended the garden fence to enclose the whole thing; so far, knock wood, it's still deer-proof. I'm planning to use some of the stones I dug up as pavers, though that project may have to wait till spring. Still have to take the tender plants indoors, pull out the last veggies, and amend the vegetable bed. I'll put down some mulch for winter when it gets a little colder, and order seeds for spring....

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH