Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

land/property management

Posted by upstatebhh none (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 19:18

Hi all. I apologize if this is the incorrect forum.

My wife and I recently purchased 40 acres of land in Ulster County that is mostly wooded. The land was previously owned by an elderly couple and there has not been much in the way of maintenance for the past decade or so and although quite beautiful, there are a lot of downed trees and forest debris scattered over much of the property. The property also has about 1600 feet of frontage along a Class A trout stream as well with a native brown and brook trout populations.

Is there a state agency (DEP, DEC, etc.) or other organization that I can contact that would assist us in coming up with a proper land management program to get the property back in good condition, reduce the chances of wildfires, etc. We'd like to be good stewards of land while we own it.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: land/property management

Try the state forestry department at the DEP. They can get you in contact with organizations that can help. I know here there is a program called COVITS I heard about when I attended a symposium on urban forestry at Connecticut College given by Bob Ricard. Covits are piles of brush that serve as shelter for wildlife. Yale and other colleges also have forestry schools or environmental education programs, Cornell has outreach through the extension service too. Mother Earth News has books and articles on small woodlot management.There are small woodlot groups too. I think University of New Hampshire was doing a TV show too-it might be on u-tube.I think it was called "Better Woodlots". Now there is also a "forest farming" movemet-part of the sustainable community. NOFA and SARE might have some links for you. It sounds very beautiful. On my own property, I used brush and branches to terrace the contours of the hillsides to slow and filter runoff.It is important where you have high quality watershed not to "break open" the soil and let it bleed silt into the river. You might want to get a tree key and key out what species you have on the property. Watch out for foresters who want to log your property and tell you your trees are not valuable species or who tear up the place. Mcmurray hatcheries have native chicks for sale you can raise and release too. Good luck!!!

RE: land/property management

thank you for the information!

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here