Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter veggies

Posted by DeeOliver z5 NY (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 29, 05 at 19:36

Hiya folks,

Was wondering what winter crops anyone has experience with here in upper HV (I'm in Saugerties). Has anyone grown kale (not in cold frame or hoop house)?

Where can I get transplants?

Dee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter veggies

I grow kale every year. Russian Red is my favorite...seeds are from Johnny's Selected seeds. If the winter has good snow cover, the plants winter over and tiny, very sweet plantlets grow all along the stem, which by then has lain on the ground. Some winters they turn to mush. Each plant is huge, like 4 feet across.

I also grow spinach, which I start in the fall by seed, winter over under light, leafy mulch, and they continue to grow in spring. They bolt by June, responding to day length, which is why spring seeding doesn't produce great plants around here (in my experience.)

Parsley started in spring will winter over and flower the next year. I pick it frozen all winter.

o

I'm also in Saugerties. Each year is different but in milder years I've kept lettuce, bok choy, kale etc going over the winter using hoops and plastic sheeting over my slightly raised beds. Also use "Remay" over the same hoops early spring to get a good start. Have been frustrated by the lack of available seeds late in the season and absolute absence of any starts for late broccoli etc. You really have to plan ahead and start the kale by July or so. Plant garlic within the next couple of weeks. I start the bok choy and lettuce in flats and transplant now. Slugs eat newly sprouted seeds so I find the starts for spinach, lettuce etc work better.

o

Thanks!

I bought garlic at the festival to start, will look for kale seeds and will winter sow them.

Dee

o

just found this article in Ulster Publishing (Saugerties Times, Woodstock Times etc) discussing winter veges http://www.ulsterpublishing.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article&articleID=358569

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here