Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elephant Ears ...... How to store them for the winter?

Posted by lachic z6 NY (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 31, 06 at 9:50

Does anyone know how I could store my elphant ears during the winter months. I bought little starter plants this spring and they are really beautiful. I'm really not sure what kind of root system they have, although; I've seen hugh elephant ear bulbs in stores. I would rather store them away if possible as, I don't think I'll be able to pot them all up. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elephant Ears ...... How to store them for the winter?

I've never grown these but for most tubers and bulbs the recommendation is a cool, dry place. Maybe a paper bag in the crisper tray? Just be sure it never gets below freezing. Of course, if you've got an unheated cellar that doesn't freeze,you are well ahead - just make sure they are protected from mice since the tubers are very edible.
Also a good idea to check mid-way through the winter and, if they show signs of shriveling, dampen and put in plastic bag to rehydrate. Or store in damp sand.

o

oldroser - Thank you for your tip....I'll give it a try!

o

If you put them in a reasonable sized pot, they will do great indoors in a sunny spot. They are a tropical plant; I don't think they want to be cold, but I could be wrong. Mine do fine in a SW facing window and produce leaves all winter. They still need lots of water.

Carol

o

Carol....Thank you! I'm going to try potting up some of the smaller plants. The plants have gotten so large that I won't be able to place them all indoors. I was thinking of removing the little baby plants from the main plant and, keeping them indoors. This way if the bulb dies in storage, I would have the plant to replant oudoors next spring. They are just beautiful plants.....I love them!

Thanks so much for your tip!

o

Lachic - be sure to put them in a large enough pot. I don't plant mine in the ground, just keep them in the pot.

Are you from LA?

Carol

o

Ooops - just realized you are in NY; Your name confused me. Sounds like something my sister in LA would call herself :-)

Carol

o

I grow the smaller one's inside in a west window and the larger one I let dry out and put in a cool spot.

Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here