Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scented_berry

Chestnut?

scented_berry
18 years ago

Anyone ever spot groups of chestnut trees (castanea) in our area or anywhere in Eastern NY? I remember we had a lot of trees before the blight, but I wanted to show my young nephews, kids etc where the tree where those yummy chestnuts are from and there aren't any to show them. If you know a place, please let me know.

Oh well, may be I'm just dreaming of the old time :) Thank you!

Comments (2)

• oldroser
    18 years ago

I have on my mantel a chestnut bur that a visitor picked up in the woods here - but he didn't remember where and I've never seen a live tree. Apparently occasionally a seedling does get large enough to bear before being dying from blight.
    When I was a child, the woods were full of dead chestnuts - wonderful wood for fence rails since it split so easily. One of my chores was to split wood for kindling and it was a real pleasure to take an axe to a chunk of chestnut as it required barely an effort to split it into thin splints. But even 70 years ago, there were no living trees left.

• 33Cat
    18 years ago

At Museum Village (www.museumvillage.org) in Monroe they have the trunks of American Chestnuts used as columns in one of the buildings. I believe they were salvaged during the blight. There is also a small display about them. You can also go to http://www.acf.org to find out how these trees are being reintroduced.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022