Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lagrangeny

Zone 6 ....A or B....?

lagrangeny
19 years ago

Within Dutchess County --- how can I find out which one I am located in ???

The maps I've seen are pretty general. Can't find one that seems to show the definate grades at a more local level ?

Is there an actual "text definition" of the two areas ?

Thank you !!!

Craig

Comments (8)

• makalu_gw
    19 years ago

Craig,

The best that I've found for this area would be out of Cornell but it's still not really granular. The site also includes some textural definition but I think that the experts are being deliberately careful since the zones are pretty broad and there's a bunch more things that combine to determine whether a plant will make it in your backyard (orientation to the sun, frost pockets, any peculiar microclime, etc.). Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell zone link

• giniene
    19 years ago

Well, Craig, it looks to me on this map that we are both in zone 5b. Thanks so much, Makalu, I have been confused also.

• klavier
    19 years ago

Craig, I live in Beekman. I catagorize where I am as 5b/6a. We can have anywhere from zone 7 to zone 4(even 3 like last year)winters. You have to go buy what ever temperature you get, not what the zone map say the temperature we is our low. Last year there was a week where the thermometer never went above -20 degrees Fahrenheit and there was no snow cover that is like a zone 3 winter on the plants. Even with mulch I lost a lot of sensitive plants. I always heavily mulch anything that might be inquestion even if it says it is hardy to zone 6 or 5

• tomtuxman
    19 years ago

Craig, orientation has a lot to do with it as does microclimate. The Cornell map (good find, makalu!) shows me (in Cold Spring, Putnam County) as 6a, but because I am on the low side of a slope, and I have stone and rock retaining walls facing SW, I consider my property as 6b. I have small pockets of 7, even. Sadly, last winter was a z3 winter for all of us. I couldn't believe the plants I lost.

• oldroser
    19 years ago

In northern Dutchess I used to be zone 4 (average winter low of -25 with excursions to -30) but now consider myself zone 5 with an average low around -22. Last winter the low was -19 but with the layer of ice and then bare ground, winter losses were extensive. My garden has been down to -36 (some years back) and a few winters we didn't get below -15 but we are talking averages here.
    And I try to take advantage of positions near the house walls for a few things that need it a bit warmer - even in a small garden there are microclimates which can be utilized.

• Wayne_NY
    19 years ago

We live on Barmore Road in Lagrangeville..

I consider us in Zone 6A, but I have to say that last year's winter was made it like a Zone 5. Lost a few plants last year...

W

• WestchesterGrower
    19 years ago

Living in Northern Westchester, I guess I can be a 6A. I love meteorlogy and take a big interest in it...Last few winters our coldest temps have been in the -10F up to the 0 Range.

Great map, BTW

• shanachie1
    19 years ago

Wayne - My dad was a landscape designer and lived a few miles north of you (Verbank Road) which he considered a solid zone 5 - he indicated Poughkeepsie was a zone 6 with the river moderation. Of course, we all have micro-climates within our property!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor