Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 6 ....A or B....?

Posted by LaGrangeNY z6 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 27, 04 at 0:38

Within Dutchess County --- how can I find out which one I am located in ???

The maps I've seen are pretty general. Can't find one that seems to show the definate grades at a more local level ?

Is there an actual "text definition" of the two areas ?

Thank you !!!

Craig

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 6 ....A or B....?

Craig,

The best that I've found for this area would be out of Cornell but it's still not really granular. The site also includes some textural definition but I think that the experts are being deliberately careful since the zones are pretty broad and there's a bunch more things that combine to determine whether a plant will make it in your backyard (orientation to the sun, frost pockets, any peculiar microclime, etc.). Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell zone link

o

Well, Craig, it looks to me on this map that we are both in zone 5b. Thanks so much, Makalu, I have been confused also.

o

Craig, I live in Beekman. I catagorize where I am as 5b/6a. We can have anywhere from zone 7 to zone 4(even 3 like last year)winters. You have to go buy what ever temperature you get, not what the zone map say the temperature we is our low. Last year there was a week where the thermometer never went above -20 degrees Fahrenheit and there was no snow cover that is like a zone 3 winter on the plants. Even with mulch I lost a lot of sensitive plants. I always heavily mulch anything that might be inquestion even if it says it is hardy to zone 6 or 5

o

Craig, orientation has a lot to do with it as does microclimate. The Cornell map (good find, makalu!) shows me (in Cold Spring, Putnam County) as 6a, but because I am on the low side of a slope, and I have stone and rock retaining walls facing SW, I consider my property as 6b. I have small pockets of 7, even. Sadly, last winter was a z3 winter for all of us. I couldn't believe the plants I lost.

o

In northern Dutchess I used to be zone 4 (average winter low of -25 with excursions to -30) but now consider myself zone 5 with an average low around -22. Last winter the low was -19 but with the layer of ice and then bare ground, winter losses were extensive. My garden has been down to -36 (some years back) and a few winters we didn't get below -15 but we are talking averages here.
And I try to take advantage of positions near the house walls for a few things that need it a bit warmer - even in a small garden there are microclimates which can be utilized.

o

We live on Barmore Road in Lagrangeville..

I consider us in Zone 6A, but I have to say that last year's winter was made it like a Zone 5. Lost a few plants last year...

W

o

Living in Northern Westchester, I guess I can be a 6A. I love meteorlogy and take a big interest in it...Last few winters our coldest temps have been in the -10F up to the 0 Range.

Great map, BTW

o

Wayne - My dad was a landscape designer and lived a few miles north of you (Verbank Road) which he considered a solid zone 5 - he indicated Poughkeepsie was a zone 6 with the river moderation. Of course, we all have micro-climates within our property!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here