Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hobbes_in_dobbs

Suggestions for a Deer Fence?

Hobbes_in_Dobbs
15 years ago

Hi all,

I'm finally giving up on trying to deter the deer. It's time to put up a fence. Does anyone have any suggestions for a reputable fence company that can put up an economical deer fence in Westchester County?

Thanks so much!

Chundo

Comments (6)

• tomb700
    15 years ago

I'm in Orange County where the deer are voracious and plentiful.
    If you are not able to do it yourself, you probably should contact a local handyman/handywoman and get some estimates to compare to a fence company.
    The ground will be frozen soon and pounding in posts will be a problem.
    I got all supplies from Home Depot but other hardware stores have the same thing. What I did was use green fence poles pounded-in (4 ft. high about $3 each), then plastic tied 8 foot by 1 inch wood poles ($1 each) for height. Then I attached black plastic deer fence ($30 for 100 feet roll) with plastic ties. I spray painted the poles flat black with cheap spray paint so it blends in well. The mesh fence is virtually invisible.
    Last year I used burlap around shrubs and the deer ate through the hemp binder twine and ripped off the burlap and cleaned off the shrubs. Instead of burlap this year I used chicken wire wrapped around the shrub.

Here is a link that might be useful: deer fence

• nycynthias
    15 years ago

In answer to the original question, my landscape architect, who I LOVE and ADORE and does the most amazing work, does deer fencing. We're putting permanent deer fencing on about an acre now--8' high wire mesh with rough cedar posts. Reasonably priced for what we're getting, and I trust his crews to work clean and quick. His name is Joe Weuste, Summerset Design, 845-590-7306. Right now, his main crew is working in Chappaqua at my house, but if you are nearby it might be convenient for them to pop over and put up your deer fence.
    You might also try Campanella Fence, who I bet does it too.
    Like tomb700 said, it may be getting a bit late to put it in easily, but it's worth a call or two.

• oldroser
    15 years ago

I'm up in Dutchess county and a local fence company put up plastic mesh on steel poles about five years ago and charged $3,000. to enclose 3/4 acre. I considered that pretty reasonable. It has to be repaired (trees keep shedding branches and this last ice storm brought down a few)from time to time and the price for that generally runs about $175. But things are less expensive up here. And it does keep deer out which is what counts.

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

Hi Hobbs, I just found this today. I don't know if you still need a deer fence, but I can recommend a reputable deer fencer who, full disclosure, happens to be a friend. I wouldn't recommend him if he weren't good tho. He's done tons of jobs in Westchester and Greenwich, including Blue Hill at The Stone Barns. I'm sure he has a lot of references. He's a very smart guy. His name is Larry Hayes and you can reach him at:

deerfencer3@aol.com

• critterfence
    15 years ago

Hi,
    we've done professional deer fence installations for the past 10+ years, stretching from all parts of NY including Long Island, CT, RI/MA including Nantucket & Martha's Vineyard.
    Fencing material ranges from typical poly mesh to all metal core fencing which is black PVC coated- fencing for all budgets. Some materials are also available online for self installation.
    http://www.critterfence.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer Fence & Garden Fence

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor