Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my bird feeder safe from bears yet?

Posted by susanzone5 z5NY (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 04 at 19:40

So, has anyone seen any evidence of bears still wandering around or can I safely put my bird feeder out again?

We have bears around here. One got my very expensive feeder a few years ago, and left its footprints in fresh soil....the size of my hands. Bear poo was all around the fruit trees in the meadow this year.

Do you have any good bear stories? Seasonal affective disorder is beginning to set in...snowed today off and on.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my bird feeder safe from bears yet?

The last bear that I saw was wandering down the hill in my back yard around 2 weekends ago. This time, it was with 2 pretty big cubs - maybe born in the spring? - and they cleaned the old bird's nest off of my clothesline. I'd imagine that they are getting ready to hibernate soon, either that or they know it's already bow season and just time to start hiding.

I don't know how far north you are but I might wait until Thanksgiving to give the feeder a shot just to be safe.

o

Luckily, not to many bears around here...yet. Maybe they are afraid of the large hoards of deer? LOL When do they start hibernating? I was wondering if the snakes are asleep yet, too. I need to clean some plants out and the snakes liked to sneak into them all summer.

o

Well, since it's freezing out today, we took down the hammock and put the birdfeeder up (between the same 2 trees the hammock was on). It was so cute to see all the birds come to the feeder at once. They have been waiting for it!

I keep looking for things to do in the garden...all that's left is a few bulbs which I always look at and put off planting. LOL.

o

Garden, green and milk snakes have been tucked away since the autumn spectacular -- can't speak for the larger species. Bears may den up and pop out on warmer days until about now. I usually wait until first lasting snow to fill my feeders. Almost tripped over a fresh pile of bear poop under an apple tree (no apples, sorry, Ms. Bruin!)on Sunday, so presume our local denizens have not yet put up for the winter.

o

New Jersey just ok-ed this years bear hunt.. :( I understand the bear problems...but...we're overcrowding their habitat and enticing them with exposed garbage...I getbears in my lower Orange county place once a month or so. Has never been a problem. I just buy Home Depot cheap side feeders instead of expensive ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here