Return to the Hudson Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bananas

Posted by DrJohn 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 17, 05 at 16:38

I want to try to grow bananas. Is there an edible variety which would grow well in this area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bananas

You want to go bananas or grow bananas? (sorry - couldn't resist). There is the Paw Paw, native to these parts, which is supposed to be 'banana like'. I bought some on e-bay last year and a few took (they are small... it takes patience). Jon

o

I've been growing bananas in lower orange for a few years now. One variety called 'musa basjoo' will over winter in the ground, if properly covered with straw or bubble wrap or leaves. Still I lose one out of three each year. There are many varieties I like to grow in containers. None have, or probably won't flower this far north. You have to feed them regularly as well. They are beautifull tho. I bring my potteds inside under grow lights each year. under neath is an URL of a great place to get babies and a picture of my living room grove.

http://www.going-bananas.com/

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o

• Posted by klavier z4 Bing, z5 Pou (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 10, 06 at 15:40

Bananas outside in New York? I would love to see that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hudson Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here